Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys, I'm new to all this and I need to replace my tires. I want to go with a slightly bigger tire with a taller side wall but I'm not sure what size to get that won't require me to change anything. The original sizes are 3.60 19 on the front and 4.10 18 on the rear. Any help and recommended sites to order from would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but going to much bigger tires will require re-spoking/re-lacing the wheels with wider rims.....
In your case with the "Comstars", that means new/different wheels.....

Part of the problem with what you want is modern "metric" tires tend to be "low profile" in that their height (sidewall) is at best 90% of their width, often only 80%....
As I an reasonably certain that you are going more for the "large balloon tire" look that is currently in vogue, you'll almost need to stick to inch sized tires (rather than metric) to have that sidewall height.....

The best way NOT to have to change anything (else) is to run the original (and CORRECT for the bike) sized tires on the bike.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't really want them to be too large and balloon like, but yes, I do want them to be slightly bigger to give a more fuller look, if that makes sense. I'm naïve when it comes to tire sizes, but would I be able to get away with say a 4.00 19 and a 4.50 18? If not it looks like I'm going to stick with the original size. Thanks again for your time.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
You DO realize that simply changing the tire sizes WILL change how (well) the bike handles and steers ....Correct?.....
WHY would you degrade the safety and handling simply for looks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually just ordered new tires in the stock sizes. Seriously though, thanks for the attitude free reply, longdistancerider;this is all new to me and I'm just wanting to know what i can and can't do.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Generally speaking I suggest that a bike be left or repaired to stock spec's, most of our members are fairly new to all this stuff and modifications have to be done with careful thought and planning. Honda really did a good job in the design and production of these models and there is only a few things that can be done to improve the existing product, mainly in using modern technology.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most of the discussion above recommends not going to a wider tire. Is there a problem with using a narrower tire on the front? For my 78 cb400tii, 3.6 x 19 is the stock size. Would a 3.25 x 19 work?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Kurt, You would be better with a 3.50 or the stock 3.60 tire size......IF you are looking to lower the front end (Very) slightly, a 90/90 tire would be appropriate.....
A 100/90 tire will give you approximately original height, but a smidge more width......
Just as installing too wide a tire changes the rubber's curvature, too narrow a tire "flattens" it and while great for going straight still adversely effects turning....
Regardless of what we say, follow the tire manufacturers guidelines as to suitable rim widths for the specific tire and size you want.... IF they say it's all good, run it!....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks. The tire I'm looking at is a Duro HF317 3.25x19. The Duro website lists the rim size as 2.15 for this tire. I am checking with them to see if this tire will work with my 1.85 inch wide rim.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The more I look into these tires, the more questions I have. I looked at the websites for Duro, Shinko, and Dunlop, and when you can find the right tire size, the recommended rim width is 2.15 or bigger, but my rims are 1.85. Is it okay to use the stock tire size if the manufacturer now recommends a wider rim? I don't see that I have much of a choice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My rims say 1.85 x 19 on the front and 1.85 x 18 on the rear. I would think that if the stock front was 3.6 inches, but the manufacturers now recommend a rim width of 2.15 inches for this size tire, that I would be better off with a narrower tire if my rim is narrower. Using the Duro HF317 as an example, the manufacturer recommends a 2.15 width rim for the 3.25x19 and 3.5x19 tire, but they recommend a 1.85 width rim for the 3.0x18. If my rim is 1.85 x19, I would think the closer fit is the 3.25x19 tire. Here is a link to the Duro chart. I'm trying to convince myself I'm okay with the 3.25x19 tire since I already bought it.

http://www.durotire.com/Portals/0/Images/TireSpecs/HF317.GIF

·
Registered
110 Posts
3.60 and 4.10 sizes were actually the old way of specifying that it was a low profile tire. 3.60 is actually a 3.50 tire with 10% less in height. That equates out pretty close to a 90/90-19. On the 4.10 its close to a 100/90-18.

Motorcycle_Rim-to-Tire_Chart.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts