Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the electrical folks- I'm rewiring a 400t project from scratch and picked up a 2 position on-off key. What would be the best way to wire a key into a custom harness?

Bike is going to be kickstart only with a 4 cell antigravity battery, microblade fuse block, and LED lighting. The only original electrical wiring will be from the engine up to the CDI unit and a new MOSFET reg/rec.

Thanks!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Can you give me more details on the switch you have? A picture of the wiring or terminals would be very helpful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks HamHock. The switch is a Drag Specialties round key ignition switch (link and photo below). I'm willing to change my plans if this doesn't look like the right switch type for the bike.

·
Sensei
27,070 Posts
That can turn the battery power on and off, but will not "kill" the engine when turned off....
You need a DPST/ 1 pole NO, 1 pole NC switch......OR a relay set-up.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
While the switch you have might be made to work, for only about $15 and an hour or so of effort you can have he key you want, integrated nicely into your existing wiring.

Check out the switch in this link:
CB400 Ignition switch

A few years back I installed one on my 1982 CB450SC, the one loose wire needs to have a spade terminal crimped on so it can be inserted into the connector block with the other 5 wires. I have an in-depth write up in my project log it's the second post on the first page. I guess this is not a true "on/off" as it does retain the setting the parking lights found on Euro models.

Reactions: Bill H

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the electrical diagram 66Sprint. That is exactly what I was envisioning after you mentioned using a relay. This makes perfect sense to me.

HamHock- thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately so much of my bike has been modified that a stock switch replacement is no longer possible unless it is relocated anyways.

One of these days I'm going to start a build thread of my project but here's a sneak peak...

·
Registered
443 Posts
The switch that I linked DOES NOT FIT THE STOCK LOCATION, on my bike it is mounted on the frame. It DOES connect to stock wiring. LMAO, you can see that in the build I linked. Good luck figuring something else out, I'd like to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry HamHock. When I looked at your post i assumed it was a stock location replacement switch. Now I see where you mounted it. I assume you wired this into the stock handlebar kill switch? I swapped out all the handlebar controls so I no longer have that part of the oem wiring harness.

I think I'm going to try the relay route since I should have space for this in my electronics tray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts