Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here, and new to motorcycles in general. I've been looking for parts for my 1978 CB400TII, and the parts search often brings up very few results depending on what I'm looking for.

I keep bumping into all these parts for the "1978 CB400T", but all OEM parts cross references say that 1978 CB400T parts do not fit my bike. Funny thing is, I can't seem to find an OEM parts diagram for the 78 CB400T. I keep finding the 1980 or 81 instead.

Most of the time people have posted about a 78 CB400T, they later say its a TI or TII.

Bikez has a spec for the 78 CB400T, but wikipedia doesn't list it for 78 (wikipedia may have incomplete information of course).

My question is, does the 1978 Honda CB400T (not TI or TII) exist? If not, then I can happily buy all these parts I need.

Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Welcome aboard
We'd appreciate a post over in "Member Intro's" to let everyone know a bit about you and the bike. Pictures are always good to see and you might stick a pin in the member map to see where everyone is.
1978 had 3 models all CB's, T1 T2 and the A model. 1979 saw the introduction of the CM which there were 2 model the T and A in addition to the CB line. 1980 the T1/2 were consolidated into the T model with a 6 speed trans and no kicker. Kicker all went away in 1980. In using the Honda online fiches Hammond Indiana, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Sea-Doo, Can-Am, Polaris, Ski, Tucker Rocky, Parts, ATV, Motorcycle, UTV, Accessories, Apparel, you select the year, then the model and it instantly defaults to the latest year made, you have to go back and reselect your year.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can use any parts from any 78-79 cb400 they should all fit and even some cm400 parts will fit. i believe most TI parts are the same as TII.
and here is a parts diagram for your entire bike
Hammond Indiana, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Sea-Doo, Can-Am, Polaris, Ski, Tucker Rocky, Parts, ATV, Motorcycle, UTV, Accessories, Apparel,

if you have any more questions about using other parts on your 400 feel free to ask, as i have the same bike
Thanks alot for the replies! This makes me feel much better. I'm planning to buy some handlebars, turn signals, and fork ears for my bike. My dad actually is also a member on this site and he pointed me to great sites like CMSNL for parts diagrams.

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Forgot to extend a warm welcome. I do like seeing more 400 series on here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
I too have a CB 400 T ii Hawk.
Giving below a link to an article that describes the CB400 T trio- the T i (or plain T), T ii (T 2) and A (automatic).
Hope you will enjoy article as much as I did.
Am also on the lookout for parts.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,614 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Help!

Forgot to extend a warm welcome. I do like seeing more 400 series on here.
Hi,
Just saw this thread as I was scouring the site for help. I have a 1978 CB400Tii (Canadian) and currently trying to revive after a looooong sleep. Carb is the issue du jour and specifically the slow jet (at least I think that's what it is). It's pressed in (no threads) under the rubber plug and I had to pull it by tapping threads in the top. One jet is clear aftera good soak some compressed air and a guitar string. The other one is jammed up. Any hints or tips? Where can I buy a new set? All the ones I've found so far are screw in types.
Thanks in advance!
John

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Those jets are pretty much unobtanium, Honda never sold them and looks like Keihin never supplied as a separate part.
To resurrect the jet I'd soak it in Pine Sol for a day and then use a 1/16" drill bit down the center using a pin vise by hand. The holes on the sides are .38mm or .014" or #80 drill bit. Be gentle and go slow. Resoak as needed to soften up the crud inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts