Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks I couldn't wait for the weekend to get back at my carb. I am going to be a little more careful with my cleaning. I did fine the size of the jets stamped on the jets so I shouldn't have a problem putting back into the right spot after they soak in the cleaner for a while. the part I am not sure about is the "slow jet plugs" as stated in an earlier thread I completed soaked them when I made my first attempt at cleaning the carb. they seemed to deteriorate to a certain degree. The manual indicates that "they can not be removed since it is a tight press fit" I have attached a couple of pictures 1 of all I took apart, the second is of the "slow jet plug" any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bear1959 ;)
1978 CB400T ii

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Bear1959 said:
The manual indicates that "they can not be removed since it is a tight press fit"
Unfortunately (?) I didn't read that far before I took mine apart. Just grabbed the plug with my fingers and it came right out. Haven't put them together yet so I don't know what's going to happen after I stick them back in. Guess we'll find out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JT from what I was able to find on the internet? For what is worth? Apparently if the plugs do as the name says plug (stop fuel or air) from entering that orifice they are doing what they were designed for?

Keep in mind I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, so just the mere idea of being able to offer help or insight to those that have helped me, makes me feel good. I’ll keep trying and someday maybe I will actually know what I am talking about?
:p

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Just checked my Honda manual. It's not the plugs that are pressed in and cannot be removed, its the slow jets under the plugs.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
JT is correct....You have to remove the plugs to clean the non-removable slow-jets underneath them........

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I cleaned / rebuilt my carbs I took out those rubber plugs (but didn't clean them, as I thought the cleaner would eat the rubber away). Actually I think I got new ones when I ordered the rebuild kit. I forgot to put one of them back in upon reassembly and it ran wonky. As others have mentioned, they can be taken out, but don't forget to put them back in...

Cheers,
BaileyMan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments I will take the rubber plugs off and go to town cleaning. Balleyman you are absolutely right. my first attempt at cleaning, the carb cleaner ate away at the plugs some what. I think if I can get them off without any further damage I may be good to put them back in at the proper time.

Jt after seeing your response I did go back to my manual and as you said it states" the slow air jet cannot be removed" Not " the slow air jet PLUG" My mistake and thanks all again for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes!... OK, most times it pays to listen. I did what you told me, got a manual, took my time and cleaned the carbs properly. removed the slow jet PLUG, cleaned the slow jets as well, replaced everything, even both rubber plugs, sorry Bailey I didn't want "wonky". put the carbs back on the bike turned on the gas Viola I now have a bike that starts and revs up. Pictures to follow on my Project Thread.

Thanks for your help guys. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts