Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Before I get rambling I just want to say thank you for a ton of guidance you've given me over the years through googles searches, and I'm grateful to be joining the community here. I'm hoping you can help me with a few questions here on this old bike.

Quick background:
Bike ran 13 years ago
Transferred to a new owner who didn't ride it due to illness
New owner passed away
Bike reverted back to previous owner.

This previous owner is a friend of mine and had not run it since it came back. Bottom line - didn't run for 13 years.

After working through some interesting carburetor challenges I was super excited to get the engine running. I was hesitant to put it in gear with the engine running because I knew the clutch had been idle for years and it had not really been out of neutral in all that time. Long story shorter, clutch plates were stuck together and the clutch wouldn't disengage the transmission.

When I took the right side case cover off the gasket disintegrated and by then I figured I should get new friction plates. Ordered those and a gasket, and now is where the trouble starts...

After reassembling the clutch basket with the new friction plates and getting it all set back in place with the cover on, I had no tension in the clutch at all. I realize the cable was pretty well loosened so I've adjusted it up as much as I can and I can only get the clutch to disengage about half way with squeezing the clutch lever in gear and trying to move the bike back and forth.

I put the old friction plates back in and really studied the amount of room there was behind the pressure plate to actually disengage and it was a lot. With the new friction plates in, there's none I can see, but some available by using the clutch lever.

So, questions are many, but mostly... Am I complete dolt for not buying Honda OEM friction discs and somehow these are thicker than they should be for this clutch? Or, if once I get the new clutch cable, will that take up the slack and help? But even if so, if it's going to make the veins in my arm stand up to use it, am I looking at the right solution at all to begin with?

Very much appreciate your guidance!

Sam Hawk

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hi Sam,

Are you absolutely sure that all is back in place properly as per parts exploded views etc. ?

There is lots of info on here.

I hope you took the opportunity to flush out the sump floor etc. when the clutch cover and parts where off. You have the peg spanner ?

Measure the thickness of the clutch friction plates, A and B type, and compare with oe specs as per manual.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Sounds like something isn't quite right with the assembly of the frictions. Did you get them in the right order and did you clean the steels? Aftermarket frictions haven't been a problem.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Also, check that the clutch lifter piece is seated in the groove of the clutch actuator rod.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My CB400T II sat for 15 years out in the weather. Finally got it running as it should
but the clutch was stuck. I put it in gear and bounced it around until the clutch released.
It still sticks occasionally after several hundred miles but it is getting better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts