Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to further drag this post out but I’m in the same boat with my no-spark ‘78 Hondamatic. I understand the CB400T parts are more available but in my search for the stater I’m about striking out for something reasonably priced. How far toward would this work? Could the complete system off a mid ‘80’s CB450SC work? What about even later later bikes that might not have sold in the US? Seems the later the better for availability and life! Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, you guys gotta allow me to rant on this for a sec. No disrespect to anyone that knows more about this than me (which is prolly most everyone)... My weed-eater runs, my edger runs, my JD rider runs. Back-pack blower, push mower, tiller... all run. These are all single cyl motors but essentially aren't the honda parallel twins the same since both plugs operate together? Maybe a little more throttle specific advance but really there is nothing new under the sun here so what is the magic-voodoo that is making these all so specific and special? If it's just the location of the pick-up can a 2nd key-way be broached onto the flywheel? Is there a retard/delay built into the CDI that is specific to each model based on the carb tuning/compression ratio/gas requirements.etc? Is this all about space requirements in the side of each engine? I feel in the dark on all this and stuck with a complete but non-running bike in my garage. Please let me know what I'm missing, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Brad

Please know that I write this with the greatest respect and appreciation to all you guys that came before me and have been knee-deep in this too! Thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you Bill, couple more questions... What does it say that my stater tests out good (in resistance range) per the Honda manual on alll except that the pink-to-green shows as open? Is this a problem and if so is it repairable?

what is the difference between the flywheel for the A and T? Only pickup location (timing) or is it pickup located farther/closer to motor?

Thank you again!
Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts