Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CB400A stockish
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought the bike it was in lots of different states of disassembly. The headlight bulb, ring, and bucket weren’t attached to each other. I would like to be able to just buy a replacement bulb that accepts an H4 bulb and keep the rest of the stock items. Where can I find the screws and hardware to put everything back together? I’m really trying to avoid getting a whole new assembly from a place like 4 to 1. Thanks in advance!

Cheers. Steve.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The screws are 5mm x 8 mm and 5 mm x 16 mm our local Ace Hardware has them. What else are you looking for?

Bill H

·
Registered
1978 CB400A stockish
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply! I am still in need of tires, fuel tank, and rear shocks.
The screws are 5mm x 8 mm and 5 mm x 16 mm our local Ace Hardware has them. What else are you looking for?

Bill H
Thanks for the reply! I am still in need of tires, fuel tank, and rear shocks.

My tank isn’t salvageable so I’ve been scouring eBay. There’s a local motorcycle salvage yard near me so I’m going to also try there as well. I’m trying to find a CB550 or 500 tank that will work. I don’t care for the fuel door that does nothing.

I will buy the shocks new. My left side shock is leaking. It’s making the squish sound when you bounce on the suspension. Fork oil is also on the list.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Member waterman had a tank for sale about 7 months ago. You might shoot him a PM and see if he still has it. He had several 400 T and 400 A parts listed .

Bill H

·
Registered
1978 CB400A stockish
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Member waterman had a tank for sale about 7 months ago. You might shoot him a PM and see if he still has it. He had several 400 T and 400 A parts listed .

Bill H
I did message him about that but he hasn’t been active for a bit.

·
Registered
1978 CB400A stockish
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Bill H
When you say 5mm x8mm how does that convert to thread pitch like M5 or M8 and then the second number is length?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
M 5 is the dia of the screw. You will need a thread pitch gauge to find pitch If you dont have a set of metric taps and dies you should buy one . the gauge will be in the set. I sold my A so cant check for you. The later screws have a slightly different pitch than the older screws. I have had good luck carefully tapping out the old pitch to match the new pitch but you should use the old pitch if you can find them.

Bill H

·
Registered
1978 CB400A stockish
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M 5 is the dia of the screw. You will need a thread pitch gauge to find pitch If you dont have a set of metric taps and dies you should buy one . the gauge will be in the set. I sold my A so cant check for you. The later screws have a slightly different pitch than the older screws. I have had good luck carefully tapping out the old pitch to match the new pitch but you should use the old pitch if you can find them.

Bill H
I very much appreciate the explanation and advice about the taps and such. I will investigate further. I also realized that I need the adjustment spring as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So when I bought the bike it was in lots of different states of disassembly. The headlight bulb, ring, and bucket weren’t attached to each other. I would like to be able to just buy a replacement bulb that accepts an H4 bulb and keep the rest of the stock items. Where can I find the screws and hardware to put everything back together? I’m really trying to avoid getting a whole new assembly from a place like 4 to 1. Thanks in advance!

Cheers. Steve.
Here's what I used - fits perfectly!!! ($26.44)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Unfortunately out of stock for the moment.
Unfortunately out of stock for the moment.
David Silver Spares has (or had) original headlight buckets for $50...
I'm thinking the other number crosses to an OEM headlight, so you may want to check Amazon for it. You could always message the eBay guy and tell him you need one. I believe he rotates stock, so he may have it anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts