Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to this site but figured I'd give it a try. I'm in the process of restoring my 1978 Honda CB400A and need to replace the exhaust. The mufflers are pretty rusted but maybe salvageable, and the power chamber needs to be replaced(I'm gonna see what I can do but its pretty rusty). Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a new exhaust system. I've been looking for a new stock exhaust but I'm having trouble finding one. I don't mind buying a compatible exhaust if I have to but stock mufflers and a power chamber would be ideal. Oh yeah I don't mind if there's a place I can buy them used, either. I'm more concerned about functionality. Thanks

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Check out the parts for sale section.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey I'm new to this site but figured I'd give it a try. I'm in the process of restoring my 1978 Honda CB400A and need to replace the exhaust. The mufflers are pretty rusted but maybe salvageable, and the power chamber needs to be replaced(I'm gonna see what I can do but its pretty rusty). Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a new exhaust system. I've been looking for a new stock exhaust but I'm having trouble finding one. I don't mind buying a compatible exhaust if I have to but stock mufflers and a power chamber would be ideal. Oh yeah I don't mind if there's a place I can buy them used, either. I'm more concerned about functionality. Thanks
I'd definitely try to get another power chamber to avoid tuning headaches. As for mufflers, I went with Pre-03 or Pre 01 harley sportster stock mufflers. I forgot the exact cut off year but the older ones that don't have the crossover tube. You can fit them directly into the power chamber exhaust, and it gives it a little bit of a louder throaty sound, but not anything crazy. You just need to fab or jury rig a mount for em.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Yes, you are not restricted to that year and model. Here's a list of the same part on different models. 18310-413-013 PRE CHAMBER

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool ill take a look at that section thanks! I was able to salvage the mufflers so the power chamber is really all i need now. All the ones I've seen are around $200-$250 though so I'm trying to find a cheaper one if i can. What would happen if i took off the power chamber all together? That would be the most economical option but I've heard it can affect power at lower RPM's (but I dont know by how much) and I'm not entirely sure if thats a good idea...

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Not using the power chamber will affect performance and HP and require re-jetting your carburetor to try to compensate.
Look through the threads and check with a member doing a cafe version or bobber version that won't be using theirs.
You can PM them and maybe make a deal on their old one.
I would look through there and through the 'parts for sale' section here first, then maybe try ebay or craigslist.
At least now you know you can use one off multiple years.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The power chamber offers a number of advantages. It's got a fairly large volume to it, which is good for breathing. It's got internal, tubular baffles that reduce noise and add enough back pressure to smooth out bumps in the power band. And it's specifically engineered to work with the carburetors and airbox. Removing the power chamber will mean re-jetting the carburetors, will decrease midrange power, and make more noise. It'll also likely decrease your gas mileage. If you can, keep it. You might also look into patching up thin or rusted-out areas with sheet metal, if possible.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Dave Silver has a good quality pattern collector box new for about $85:00 part# BJDBA-413-013P
Nigel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts