Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found out the carbs & filters weren't stock and it had no brake caliper so I bought a parts bike rather than buy individual parts online. Tore it down to most nothing. Looking back wish I took more.

What I took :
Fenders
Side covers
Gas tank
Wire harness
Handle bars
Master brake cylinder
Head light
Air box
Carbs
Brake caliper
Cluster

Cost: $140 (think I did pretty good)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I installed the air box (pain in the ass)
Cleaned & coated the inside of gas tanks
Sanded and painted black tank & covers
Bought new petcock
Installed stock headlight
Installed stock carb
Rebuilt caliper
New seals on forks (15w oil)
Flipped stock bars
Removed cluster
Installed new horn
Removed from fender
Removed sissy bar
Removed highway bar

Just trying to get a feel for the cafe style

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Started the conversion to Cafe racer

Clip on handle bars
Chopped down front blinkers
Led brake light (drilled into fender)
Black satin paint on fender
Led rear blinkers
7'' Harley daymaker led headlight (needed some modification to chrome headlight trim)
Led blinker resistor
Air filter arrived
Hawk eye mirrors
New lower headlight bracket

Everything cosmetic is finished!
(pic from before flasher install)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bike was running pretty well but now it's starting to die on initial neutral to first and noticed gas coming from overflow tube while parked overnight on one occasion. Also dies after riding when I'm about to park. If switched into neutral after a long ride it revs like WOT and when shut off I get backfire sometimes. Carbs?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm interested to see what Cluster you go with, I'm currently almost done cafe'ing my 78 cb400t, I need to replace the cluster because its too fat and ugly, and its directly in front of my clutch lever so i can't actually reinstall the cable till the cluster is out of the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took out the cluster and I'm just going with an aftermarket speedometer right now. I saw another cb400a online with a condensed cluster that shows turn signals and high beam etc inside a small speedo but idk where to get it. You can probably find the pictures if you Google "decaf" cb400a.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
You might want to put the front fender, or at the very least the front fender mounting bracket. It keeps the lower fork stanchions working in unison for better control/handling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tip I felt like the was a little play the forks but didn't know why. I will miss riding through a puddle and getting a face full of trash truck water ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey I need a little help my bike starts up fine but dies when I shift from neutral to first. I'm trying to get this thing inspected asap so any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hey I need a little help my bike starts up fine but dies when I shift from neutral to first. I'm trying to get this thing inspected asap so any advice would be appreciated!
It could be the neutral/sidestand lockout switch - I think there's a sidestand switch associated with the neutral and engine kill wiring so you don't put the automatic in gear with the sidestand down

will miss riding through a puddle and getting a face full of trash truck water
LOL... yeah, fenders are good for that :lol:

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The A model has a circuit that advances the timing from 7* BTDC to 15* BTDC when put in gear. Probably need to check that circuit or possibly you can see the change with a timing light. Low initial idle speed could cause this also. Do you have the FSM and the A model supplement?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it seems like it was just the kick stand hah I feel like an idiot but like I said it's my first bike and never considered they would put a kill switch there ?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
In the ongoing quest for safety as the decades rolled by, Honda undoubtedly felt that the A models were for total beginners and they would be the most likely, I suppose, to forget the side stand when starting off on a ride. The truth is, many do it and the results can be ugly.... needs to become an ingrained habit to put up the stand once you're on the bike unless you're just going to sit on it like a chair

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've done it a couple times (No safety switch on the other 400s) along with forgetting to turn the petcock on after a short stop and running out of gas a few blocks later. Luckily I realized each time before I took any corners. The solution (I did not want to repeat either of those things) was to make my own acronym of things to do like the courses teach you, once you get in the habit it's pretty much automatic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im not really happy with the speedo I bought (kilometers) . Anyone have any suggesting for a good mph speedo with odo that has the basics like turn signal and high low indicators?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts