Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
As posted in the project log section we have a '79 CM400T that we are working on. It is currently running very well but it's ugly, needs a seat, complete exhaust and some chrome work. I've found a 1978 CB400A that is in better condition, or so it appears in the ad,

but I don't know how much of it is compatible with the CM400. Anyone here know what parts are compatible?

Being in NY and being flat out told by DMV that if it doesn't have a title I can't use it for anything other than parts I don't want to go pick it up if I can't use anything from it. It is about 3 hours away and the seller is asking $100 first come first serve. If there was a chance of being able to put it on the road I would go get it anyway.

Also, I was thinking of swapping the motor over to the CM400 frame since that is street titled to help Kim get used to riding the bike and not have to worry about using the clutch at first, is it a reasonable thought or are the motors that different?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
The engines will swap..... But She will ultimately benefit from practicing with a clutch, (muscle memory ) and the availability of pulling the clutch in to completely disengage the running gear is safer...( the automatic CAN and WILL try to keep going even with the brakes applied if the throttle is open)...Pull the clutch, and you're riding a heavy, noisy bicycle, not a motorcycle anymore.... Just an opinion....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts