Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm removing the rust from my comstar wheels Is that some kind of plating or paint, I know the rims are aluminum and don't take them apart.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It's not paint, don't know what it is. I'm thinking it's like Cerakote since it's a thin finish, possibly some sort of plating.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks Jim I have a new brush on electro plating rig to test Ill try some different metals.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'd like to figure out what the coating on the switch pods is. Some were black and some silver but it's not the raw aluminum alloy finish. Taking a black one over to the Cerakote guy tomorrow with the wheel hubs to see if he has an idea

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the black and silver is anodized, check out this web site Caswell Plating
https://www.caswellplating.com/ This is where my electroplating system came from

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was working on replating a shifter from the same bike and noticed the finish on the shifter (toe piece) has the same finish as the comstar spokes. Metal

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 1978 CB400A. I don't want to fully restore the bike just clean it up and ride it. Instead of painting the rim i cleaned the rust off and spayed it with Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Enamel. They look nice and keep the factory look. Painting them black make them look strait out of the hood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts