Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK... so I found some documentation on how to do it, but I still have one question.
The manual says to turn the crank until 90 degrees ATDC when all valves are closed. What does that look like on the stator?

Here's where I am at right now:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Assume that LT is top dead center for the left side (on the compression stroke). 90 degrees would be about where the 3M mark is at.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm in the same place, Sonreir. I think it may be important to note that just because the LT mark is at 90 past TDC doesn't mean you can adjust the tensioner. All four valves must be closed. If you have the mark in the right position, and the valves are still open, give it another spin and they should be closed.

Last night I attempted to adjust my cam chain tensioner. I put the mark at what I believed 90 degrees ATDC, loosened the lock nut, and loosened the bolt, but nothing happened. I tightened them up, went over the manual and saw that sentence. I believe that means I've got to pull that tappet covers to confirm that the valves are closed.

It could also mean that the tensioner was at the right tension. The PO said he tuned it up, but I want to be sure because the carbs looked like hell when I opened those up.

Of course, I did this at 11:30pm last night, and I had to get up at 6 for work, so I called it a night there. Tonight I'll pick it back up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
I just use a 14mm combination on nut, turn it so you can feel pressure from valve springs (take plugs out)
As long as spanner is trying to turn 'backwards' the front run of chain is tight.
loosen lock bolt, tighten lock bolt, tighten locknut (forgot to tell you to hold lockbolt and loosen locknut before you start :lol: )
Don't fret about actual position, as long as cam is not 'pushing' crank it will work fine.

PJ

·
Registered
272 Posts
Excellent info. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Dunno what just happened, computer locked up but obviously sent message?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts