Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 cj360t project bike that I have been working on with my son. While trying to replace and set new points I noticed that I have charge to both points while they are open. I believe that while points are open my test light should not be lit... mine light stays on. Any suggestions

Jer

·
Super Moderator
10,318 Posts
It depends on the way your test light is connected - if you have the other end of the test light to ground, then the bulb will come on when the points break/are open. When the points are closed, they are sending power to the coils to ready them to create a spark when the points break and the coils discharge.

Please check your Conversations as below, and post an Introduction here with a little about yourself and your bike - thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,318 Posts
Well, now that you mention the rest of it, that changes things. You're sure the points are closing all the way? Clean with no grit or coating substance on the contacts? You could put a piece of clean paper between them when closed and pull it out, see if it is clean afterward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello... I was able to do a little work on the issue last night. After cleaning everything and reinstalling the entire thing the problem still exists. What would cause the points to be getting charge even with the ignition off.

Ignition switch?
The wiring Harness has been spliced in some areas? Maybe start with a new harness?
Iv'e also watched the common motor collective DIY videos.
Would it be easier to go with electronic ignition?

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
"Well, now that you mention the rest of it, that changes things."

If you're getting power to the points with the ignition switch off you may have a bad switch or something is wired incorrectly. Your first move needs to be to determine which is the problem. Replacing the harness is probably a drastic measure unless yours is really hacked up. Even if you switch to EI you'll have to correct the power supply problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Well, now that you mention the rest of it, that changes things."

If you're getting power to the points with the ignition switch off you may have a bad switch or something is wired incorrectly. Your first move needs to be to determine which is the problem. Replacing the harness is probably a drastic measure unless yours is really hacked up. Even if you switch to EI you'll have to correct the power supply problem.
Thanks for the advice... 'Im gonna review all my connections. I did notice several hacks to the wiring after peeling back a great deal of electrical tape. I'f I don't find the issue I will purchase a harness. Any thoughts or sites that sell affordable ones?

JM

·
Super Moderator
10,318 Posts
If you're looking for a quality replacement harness, HT member Sonreir owns Sparck Moto and Vintage Connections and not only offers great products at competitive prices, but great support through here as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone who has offered advice! I went ahead and purchased a harness off of eBay. Does anyone have advice on where to find a diagram that shows the connection point and color codes for re connection. My existing harness was hacked in several areas which may be the root of my problem.
Thanks JM

·
Sensei
26,360 Posts
Wiring diagram is in the factory shop manual........
Honda wiring is basically simply color to same color....
Had you phoned when asked to five days ago, you would have already had your answers, and might not have needed a new harness........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts