Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

So, I have been restoring a 76 200t and after working on those finicky carbs, finally had the bike running great. Until I realized that my starter starting acting funny (previously had no problems with starter button or any electrical issues). The starter switch does not do anything but click a few times when pressed (with a fully charged battery), I noticed my neutral light comes on when I turn the ignition to ON, but when I use the starter the light turns off and stays off for a while then eventually comes back on.

I noticed that my ignition switch had a wire that was not connected on it, the brown and white wire, and after reviewing the wiring diagram, I connected everything back to how it should be, but nothing got better.
I actually noticed that now my turn signals don't work, sometimes they will come on and not blink, and other times they do nothing. and when jiggle my ignition switch around the neutral light fades in and out as if its loosing connection. Tried checking for loose wires, or a blown fuse but nothing seems to be apparent.

Also, If it matters at all, my clutch handle bar piece has been replaced with a ebay special that had a problem with the horn wiring and currently I have my horn disabled, Before this trouble though this piece allowed for my turn signals to work and head light to switch between lo and hi.

A lot of information but I thought I would lay everything I've done out on the table... please let me know if anyone has an idea to what could be the problem. Maybe a new ignition switch? or a loose wire or bad fuse?

thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone, So I went over my bike checking every wire connection I could and really only found maybe one loose connection, but after making sure it was tight, The neutral light on the tachometer is still flickering and none of my lights will turn on.

I also found a mysterious brown wire in the mess within the head light that has no connection to anything and nothing that looks lt should connect to it. In fact after reviewing the wiring diagram again, I see no brown wire even heading in that direction. I am at a loss. I am going to keep checking connections and try to look up symptoms of a bad ignition switch.

idea and thoughts of any kind are greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
The brown wire is not used, it went to a small parking light in the headlight in some overseas models. With a meter on your battery, look for at least 12V. Watch the meter while trying to crank, if it drops below 9.5V, the battery is bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So just so I do it right, You mean use a meter on the battery alone, and when I crank if it drops below 9.5v then its a bad battery?

I checked the battery yesterday and I was getting around 14v or so, but I probably wasn't doing it right. I will try again , thanks for your help. Ill keep you posted!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Yes, connect the meter directly to the battery. A battery can show 12V with nothing using power but if bad will drop low when using power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I checked the battery with nothing on, it was at almost 11v, then I turned the key to on, and checked the battery and it went down to 1-2v. So I am guessing that the battery is bad. I am going to go pick up a new one and see if the problem persists. Thanks for your help and i will keep updating my progress on here.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
yep, battery is bad. After putting the new battery in, check the voltage, start the bike, run it up to 3000 and see if the voltage goes up to around 13V, this will verify your voltage regulator and rectifier are working. Using the adjuster near the grip might make it easier to rev the engine, be watching the meter, if it goes above 14V stop and take it back to idle, your regulator is bad and can blow your lights out if the voltage goes too high. If the voltage never goes up, it could be your regulator, rectifier, or stator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts