Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this bike a few months ago as a project. Didn't run when I got it and still doesn't now but I've been working away at it. It's been issue after issue but it's been a good learning experience (my first big overhaul).

The bike as seen in the ad:
IMG_2989.jpg
IMG_2990.jpg

With the seat:
IMG_2994.jpg

Tore it apart:
IMG_3016.jpg
IMG_3046.jpg

I cleaned up the frame, wheels, etc. Lots of caked on gunk from sitting around for years. Trimmed the seat down - thought it looked too bulky before and the cover was already torn and half replaced anyway.

I cleaned up and rejetted the carburetors although they aren't spotless so I might have another go. Like I said, the bike sat for a long time. Cleaned the oil filter, replaced a broken gear (oil pump drive gear I believe), cleaned out the gas tank.

Had some trouble with the wiring - at some point in time someone spliced some wires and cut some others. Sparks fairly well now.

This is how the bike sat yesterday:
IMG_3070.jpg

I couldn't get it started so I did a compression test, only 65 and 75 psi..... Opened up the top end today and found that a couple of the piston rings were jammed into their slots, I managed to get all but one unjammed but I can't get the last one. Anybody have a trick for this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the piston rings unstuck with a propane torch and some wd40. Compression didn't go up much... only up to 80-85. The head gasket looked fine when I disassembled the top end so I guess I'll doublecheck the valve clearance again. Other than that I'm at a loss as to why it's so low.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Bad piston ring(s)? Combustion crud on valve seating surface? (Just spit balling here)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts