Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure I ought to start my own thread, rather than highjacking the other 500t cafe racer thread.
I bought the bike on eBay for $791, took a grey hound to augusta, GA, then rode it back for 7 hours on an average of 1 and 3/4 cylinders. When I bought it, it had stock air filters and side covers and a sissy bar, but i don't have a picture of it then. This is the first photo I have of it:

I'd already taken off the sissy bar, mirrors and side covers. I put on some clip ons and ditched the gauges, exhaust and passenger peg mounts. Next, was the battery box, which didn't go well at first:

Then I rewired it, replaced the regulator and rectifier with a unit from Oregon Motorcycle Parts (they do great stuff), and added a carbon fiber splash guard

The fenders went, along with the old tail light. I made a bracket for the new led tail light and a carbon/kevlar seat pan. top it off with a new chain, and no centerstand or battery box mount:

That's where it stands now. I'm planning on covering the seat with brown leather, to keep with the brown bomber tradition, along with rearsets and a custom exhaust.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the details! I was wondering what route you took with that battery..

Keep us up to date... ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That seat doesn't seem comfortable.

I like the look though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I really want to replace my battery on my 360T with a gel battery like that. But when I go to Werker's site and enter my bike model, they only have listed the standard battery that fits in my battery case. I assume that's because they are assuming I want a stock bike.

But if I wanted a smaller battery, mounted sideways like that- what do I need to look for? I'm electrically stupid and would really appreciate a part number :) My bike is going to be otherwise standard, except I'm replacing everything but the headlight with LEDs, and maybe upgrading to a higher watt headlight once I get the Oregon rectifier/regulator unit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I just got the werker because it was available locally. It isn't the best fit ever, and I bet you can find a smaller one online.

Getting the upgraded rectifier is somewhat essential to getting a smaller battery, especially if you are running LEDs, since the battery helps to absorb some of the inconsistencies in voltage and current. A smaller battery doesn't do that as well, so if you put on your small battery and LEDs before your new rectifier, you may blow out your LEDs and/or blow up your battery (I did both). Also, having a good voltage regulator keeps the battery form being overcharged, which can also blow it up.

One factor in picking a battery is whether or not you want to have electric start. If not, all you need is something that holds enough charge to keep you going at the red lights. If that's the case all you need is the right voltage (usually 12v) and the right amp-hours. The higher the amp-hours, the longer you bike can idle without running out of electricity. I got a 7.5 Ah battery, but in retrospect, I could have gone with a good bit less.

The math behind picking a battery has so far eluded me. I asked my roommate about it (he's got a PhD in electrical engineering) and he did some hand waving and guesstimations and came up with 7.5 Ah. The people at batteries plus were even less useful, since they suggested the batteries that ended up exploding.

So, long story short, I'm not too sure which battery is best, but I do know you need a working regulator/rectifier to run LEDs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a day off school and the result is that it fell apart:

I'm hoping to cut off the last few unnecessary brackets and powder coat the swingarm, paint the frame, install some rearsets, and have it back together before new year's.

I've already prepped the swingarm, and cleaned and painted the engine mounts:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I wouldn't worry about powdercoating one part and painting another.. Why not just paint them all the same way at the same time?? Unless the powdercoating is free... ;)

Additionally, that doesn't look like a 500T frame to me.. Did it have plastic air vents installed through a crossmember in the frame underneath the original seat??

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I wouldn't worry about powdercoating one part and painting another.. Why not just paint them all the same way at the same time?? Unless the powdercoating is free... ;)

Additionally, that doesn't look like a 500T frame to me.. Did it have plastic air vents installed through a crossmember in the frame underneath the original seat??

Mate if you look in one of the earlier photos you can see the frame number CB500T-2XXXXX

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Looks like you're right. I didn't think the rear part of the frame appeared correct for the 500T.. My bad.

Carry on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the powder coating is free. I won a gift certificate in a raffle.

The air vent mounts got cut out so I could put the battery there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What are those rear sets off of?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are for a yamaha R1. I just looked on ebay for something that I could make fit. These came from thailand and took forever to get here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts