Honda Twins banner

1976 CB500T - First Bike

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Rhys79 
#1 ·
Just getting started on my first bike, a 1976 CB500T. The overall condition seems to be good considering it sat in a barn for 20 years. I won't know for sure about the engine till I get some other work on it completed. Here's my todo list so far.

1. Tank - It sat with a half tank of fuel, so it's pretty rusty. Going to drop it off at a local radiator shop that does tanks. They quoted me about $70 to clean and RedKote it. Hoping they can clean it without destroying the paint.

2. RH kill/start switch assembly - The PO had replaced this with the wrong one. Kill switch was fine but start button was useless (straight to ground instead of SPDT switch...).

3. Starter clutch - just got it off and at least one of the springs is shot. I am currently looking at options on this.

4. Electrical - most of the electrical seems to be working, except the tail/brake light. Looks like the socket connections need cleaned.

5. Detailing - the chrome is in decent shape, some light rust pitting, most of it seems to be polishing out pretty well with an electric buffer and a bottle of Turtle Wax chrome polish and rust remover. I'll break out the dremmel and some buffing wheels for the nooks and crannies. Frame could probably use to be stripped, blasted, and powder coated, but it isn't too bad, so that will wait till the engine needs rebuilt. I don't plan on pulling the engine untill it is a neccessity

6. Ignition - I will probably upgrade the ignition at some point, but it's not a rush.

7. Engine - The filters on it don't look too bad, and the carbs were nice and clean when I picked it up. As I don't have a fuel source at the moment, I haven't tried running it yet. I drained the oil, pretty nasty looking, and cleaned the slinger, which surprisingly was nearly clean. I plan on pulling the right cover and cleaning the oil pump screen and checking out the clutch plates while I have it drained.

Not a bad little project, and I only paid $350 for the bike. If anyone can think of anything I haven't thought to take a look at, let me know! I'll post pics of my progress as I go.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 1975 CB500T - First Bike

Pretty sure you can use that starter button - just reverse the wires at the solenoid.

I don't recall if the 500T tank has the miserable "crossover tubes" like the 450 does - make sure the radiator shop doesn't plug them up, if they're present.

I'm right here in LaPorte, so if I can be any help...........

#3 ·

The 500t starter switch also turns the headlight off while running the starter motor. Mine was shot on my bike when I got it and I took a switch out of a GoldWing part and put it in my assembly and it works great. Much easier to find that way than the whole 500t switch assembly.

The tank does not have the cross over tubes like the 450 and others do so that wont be a problem. I have had a few tanks done at radiator shops but they were tanks that I had stripped the paint on for restoration. You will love the job they do on the cleaning and the red kote. It will be interesting to see if they can do it without messing up the paint.

Chrome polish with 0000 steel wool really works magic for me on rusty chrome.

Good luck with the bike, I have grown to love mine. It will vibrate, and I think they vibrate worse than a 450 ( I have both ) but I took the top engine mount off of mine and that eliminated most of the vibration. I have a friend on this list that took his off first and has had no problems at all either. Probably not something you want to do if you are going road racing with it since the motor is acting as a stressed member of the frame but for old farts out for a leisurely ride it seems to be fine. :lol:

#5 ·

Hi and welcome.
Twins vibrate unless you looking at a new Triumph, however we are talking vintage and also fun. For $350 that is less that £250 for a good looking bike you have struck oil for sure, and good for you.
I just wish that there were bargins in the ,like you seem to find in the US, or maybe Im just not that lucky. I bought my 450 K0 for more that that in 1971 and I was the third owner then.
Enjoy you biking an the discovery of the engineering that goes with it.

#7 ·

IF you wish to use the earlier "grounding type" starter button, you will have to "hardwire" connect the headlight feed so it lights (Black to black/red stripe)....Then connect the harness yellow/red stripe to the pushbutton yellow/red stripe wire as usual...The change is that the other solenoid wire (Green/red stripe) must be disconnected from the harness and attached to a power feed wire (any black wire)... This also overrides the clutch and neutral safety switch circuit, so be careful......

#8 ·

Updates, YAY!! Just recieved the correct RH switch assembly from KeithPip, THANK YOU!!! Had to install an actual button in it, as someone had replaced the original button with a switch. It doesn't look stock, but it will work :)

Making progress on the starter clutch. The clutch body has all sorts of damage to it, and I have a new one on the way, should be here tomorrow I'm hoping. Picked the clutch/stator/rotor whole shebang off of ebay for about $25 :D Other than that, the springs were shot, and while measuring the rollers, I realized one of them has a flat spot on it. I have new springs, and I'll see what condition the rollers are in with the clutch I have coming before picking up a set of replacements. I think the spring caps are the only good part I have :?

I got the exhaust off, and all but one screw off the RH cover. Looks like I'm going to have to take the rear brake pedal off to get at the stubborn bastard. I've had to use an impact driver to break all the cover screws loose (damn honda and the idiot engineer that decided philips head screws were a smart idea for cover bolts :evil: ) and I can't quite get a straight enough shot at the one behind the brake lever. I'll be ordering a set of stainless hex cap bolts to replace the now completely buggered screws.

That's were I am at now. I'll post pics when I get a chance!

#9 ·

+1 for RicH2
How am I supposed to procrastinate doing homework effectively without pictures on your build?

#13 ·

Son of a briggin... Apparently my torque wrench doesn't work well at low settings, snapped the head off one of my clutch spring bolts while reassembling the clutch... Good thing I have a set of easy outs. They may call them easy outs, not sure yet how easily the rest of the bolt is going to come out though. Now to pick up a replacement bolt and get a smaller torque wrench so I don't over torque and snap another one.

I got my nice shiny new stainless steal engine bolt set. Any suggestions on a good anti-seize product to use with them, the documentation that come with them says it is a must. All new torque specs to work with for them too. It will be nice not having to use an impact driver to get the side cover bolts loose now though, the new bolts are hex cap instead of philips.

I now have all the parts on hand except the replacement clutch spring bolt to reassemble the engine, and I'll pick that up this weekend. If all goes well, I should get my tank back from the radiator shop in the next week or so as well. That puts me on track to be able to test fire this baby hopefully by next weekend.

Found a salvage yard about an hour away from me that has all kinds of parts for these old hondas. I'll be picking up a replacement master cylinder (the mirror mount is wallowed out in the original) and handlebars (mine are bent badly) from him soon, and then I can get the bike completely assembled.

Still have to deal with getting the local police over to verify the VIN number on it and fill out the necessary paperwork so I can transfer the title though, so I won't be test riding it anytime soon :(

I'll post pictures of the engine reassembly hopefully this weekend if I manage to get the time to work on it.

#14 ·

Hell... Just got a call from the radiator shop. If they do an acid wash on my tank, he says it'll look like swiss cheese...... :!: Just ordered a Caswell epoxy kit, which from everything I've read is about the only viable solution to the problem short of buying a replacement tank $$$. :eek:

Got the clutch spring bolt out of the inner basket and replaced. Picked up the new lock washer for the oil slinger and a bottle of anti-seize. On the list for this evening is putting the right side of the case back together and replacing any other misc. bolts that came in the stainless kit I bought. I'll take pics as I go :)

#16 ·
Hi Re the anti seize I always prefer Copper Grease sometimes called Copper Slip. Its never let me down yet. It is used in the marine industry where there is a very high corosion risk allong with the attendent galvanic issues where salt water is involved

#17 ·
SHE LIVES!!! Fired the engine for the first time today! Runs like **** right now, but at least I know I'm on the right track! I have not checked the timing, and I've had the carbs torn down to clean them and haven't readjusted them yet...

Starter and all electrics are working except the horn, and had to replace a bad spark plug wire. Picked up a replacement tank, it has a small dent and needs repainted, but the inside is nearly flawless ($35), picked up a replacement stator cover to replace the warped one that leaked oil ($10), and picked up a replacement master cylinder as the mirror mount was wallowed out bad on the orriginal ($15). She's starting to come along nicely.

Still to do -
Try and straighten the handlebars, replace if I can't
New air filters
Tank repair
New tires
New grips
Waiting for new brake hoses to be fabbed at River Bend Hose
Tune engine

That is currently what I am aware of that still needs done. Coming along nicely now that it's warm enough to work on it.

#19 ·
Front brakes are done, right carb is clean and right side is idling well and throttles up good. I cleaned the left carb, but apparently not well enough, as it still isn't idling well on the left side, but throttles up good. New air filters will be in tomorrow. Was able to take it for a spin around the block last night, which was a great feeling after all the work I've put into it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.