Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to this sight so I do apologize if this isn't the correct place for this post.

I recently found a 1976 Cb500T with 7,100 original miles on Craigslist and the price ($500) was too good to pass up.
The add listed that it had sat for 5 years and no longer was getting power to anything. I figured it would be a simple fix so I picked it up the next day. Turned out that the ignition plug was not connected at all. Connected the plug and everything had power again. So I put fresh oil and fuel in it. Pulled the plugs and turned it over for about 30 seconds to make sure oil was at the top of the head as well. Put fresh plugs in and turned it over, fired right up. Immediately I noticed a lot of top end noise, I killed the engine and decided to set the valves, pulled the exhaust cam cover off and noticed the left exhaust cam lobe to be pretty chewed up. The bike is heading to Ronco cycles here in Wichita Wednesday. Should I be expecting to pay for a full rebuild? I know parts are kind of hard to find for the 500T. Is the bike worth the work or should I cut my losses? I'm not sure how to add photos on here but the bike is in such good shape, it's paint is flawless, nothing missing no pitting or rust anywhere, spotless tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Considering the condition of the bike and the fact you've only got $500 into it, i'd say it's definitely worth it to get evaluated. Hard to say what will need replaced until it's taken apart, but at minimum you'll need to replace the cam (new or good condition used) and the follower that's associated with that lobe. Good condition used or new followers can be difficult to track down.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I haven't opened it up yet, but I recently bought a 500T parts engine that may have the parts your looking for in good condition. I can open it up and take a look if you'd like? Also, the followers from the 450 will work in this engine. Not 100% sure on the camshafts, but I have a few 450 cams too if you need parts. I would most definitely have it evaluated. You never know what's really going on until you check. Honestly, it's worth fixing if the dollar value is worth it to you, at least that's how I look at it. Looks to be a pretty nice bike in good cosmetic condition, so have it checked out! At this point I think I would be planning a full engine rebuild, teardown at least, simply for the fact that the metal particles from your cams are who knows where. But see what they say and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Replacing the camshaft is easy, finding and fixing the reason why it's damaged is more complicated. CB500T engines are not known for heavy camshaft damage at low miles, unless driving away fast after a cold start combined with low quality oil or a low fill level (pumps sucks air). The bike seems nice, cared for, so that does not make sense.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Maybe fuel in the oil?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I believe the last owner had run it low on oil. He did not seem very mechanically skillful. After all he couldn't find out why the bike wasn't getting power when the plug was clearly disconnected. Either way, I've ordered all the parts and moved the bike into the shop. Going to pull it apart and see what caused it. Or if there is any other damage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe fuel in the oil?
When I got the bike I believe the oil to have been more fuel than oil. He has a stuck float and I don't think he turned the fuel valve off when storing it. But I had changed the oil before starting it.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
When I got the bike I believe the oil to have been more fuel than oil. He has a stuck float and I don't think he turned the fuel valve off when storing it. But I had changed the oil before starting it.
Yes but did the PO crank it over without changing the oil?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes but did the PO crank it over without changing the oil?
I could not say for sure. But judging by the state of the cam lobe, he didn't take care of the bike as well as the original owner did. At 7,100 miles that cam shouldn't have a single problem

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
true, my '75 has about 20K on it and the cams are great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
true, my '75 has about 20K on it and the cams are great.

I don't suspect I'll run into very many issues with the bike. It still has really good compression and there seems to be no other engine noise. I ran it for just a few seconds and immediately shut it off because it sounded almost like a diesel. Originally I thought a combination of poor valve adjustment and oil flow issues. But when I pulled the cover it was all well oiled. I believe the damage occurred while with its 2nd owner. Either way the bike is certainly worth saving.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
absolutely worth saving, beautiful bike. I have read they are notorious for vibration but I don't find a big difference between my 450K6 and 500T.

Just FYI, someone was selling a rebuilt 500T engine on the forum for $400 in the "for sale" section.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
absolutely worth saving, beautiful bike. I have read they are notorious for vibration but I don't find a big difference between my 450K6 and 500T.

Just FYI, someone was selling a rebuilt 500T engine on the forum for $400 in the "for sale" section.
After some of the hardtails and basket cases I've owned this thing surely won't be so bad. I will probably pick that up. I have 3 running engines for my KZ750. Just because I really like to have parts if I need them. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts