Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I got this 76' CB500 Twin a few weeks ago after it had been sitting for at least a few years.
The engine is currently seized, from sitting I hope, and is getting a marvel mystery oil treatment.

The sissy bar will be the first part to go.

A lot of the bike is in pretty good condition. There is some slight rust on the tank, and well everything else, but overall I feel that I have a pretty good set of parts to work with.

I am looking forward to tearing this bike down and creating a sweet bike for as cheap as possible, and I
am sure all of your collective experience will be invaluable.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the new bike. Looks like it will be a good project. Hopefully you can get the engine unstuck with minimal effort or cost. Look forward to seeing your progress.

When you get a minute please read this post and update your profile accordingly. It helps us all to help each other: NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has been sitting in my barn for the last few weeks and the engine has not budged a bit so I'm
starting to break the bike down to the frame.

The master brake cylinder is completely shot, but the rest of the dials and controls seem to be in good working condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I have got the engine pulled and mounted on a stand in my kitchen so I can break it down.
The right hand cylinder is clearly rusted and the engine is still seized. So my question is, where to go from here? In order to remove the top end I must expose the cam chain master link, but if the engine is seized that isn't so easy. Is there anyplace I can attach a wrench to the camshaft to try to get everything moving? Or do I have to sacrifice my cam chain?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I for the life of me cannot get the axle that the center stand and rear brake pivot on out.
Does anybody have any tips for removing this?

·
Registered
210 Posts
The cam chain is an endless design so there is no clip on the master link, it's riveted. You can break it anywhere, I use a dremel with a small cutting wheel and just grind the ends off the chain pins. The pivot for the stand and rear brake pedal is likely bent and can be very hard to get out. I had the same problem as have many others. Here's a link to how I made a stronger shaft to replace the stock one. You may have to get violent to get the original out.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=378&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

1 - 8 of 8 Posts