1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Working on my 76 cb500t here
20160622_145054.jpg
She runs pretty well, I've balanced the carbs, but am looking to do a full rebuild...still trying to track down the right kit.

I pulled the air filters out, and they don't look like they've been touched since 76
20160622_145901.jpg
Was wondering if anyone has had luck with pulling out the old paper and retrofitting/glueing new paper in the old boxes. I'm trying to keep her stock, but will look at aftermarket filters if that seems the best way to go. There were no clamps on either of the hoses running to the carbs, so I put on some hose claps and they seal fine. After pulling the sideplates, I really like the look with just the filter box covers...thinking of giving them a once over with some new paint for a different look. I will keep the side covers of course. Back on track though. The housing looks clean:
20160622_145401.jpg
20160622_145912.jpg
So I feel like it's worth it to restore the old boxes. I've also heard of replacing the paper with foam. I like this idea, as they will be easier to clean in the future, I'm just wondering if that will make a difference with the amount of air getting to the carbs

Also, the rubber seal on the Left cover plate is ripped. I haven't been able to find a replacement, just wondering how dire it looks.
20160622_145611.jpg

On a side note, I'm looking to replace the points system with an electronic ignition. Anyone have luck with the PAMCO e-ignition?
CB450Ignition

Thanks all! Appreciate any input, will keep posting pics as she keeps coming together. Once I get more info, I'm planning on documenting the filter rebuild.

-Ratchet

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I rebuilt mine with unifoam.

I wouldn't recommend replacing the paper, just cut it off and glue in place some unifoam instead. Unifoam is much better and is washable.

I am also using PAMCO e-ignition and it's working great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Foam seems the way to go and I'd much rather deal with cutting and gluing foam in rather than dealing with the folds of the paper filters. Any recommendations on glue to use for the foam? I was thinking of sealing it with silicone to make sure the air doesn't go around the foam.

Will definitely order the PAMCO, thanks for the confirm.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
silicone is what I used as well and it held up just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
If you cut the foam slightly larger than it needs to be you don't have to glue it in. They will pressure fit into the housing.
This is the way I did my 450 and 500T so I can clean and reoil the foam easier.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just got mine 76 cb500t and just like the op, they were never replaced.

I was contemplating of cutting up the old paper as one suggested, keep the factory metal mesh in there and substitute with a K&N filter material.
The width of the stock box measures just shy of 2.75", K&N filter E-2925 is a square shaped with right dimensions and enough material that should cover both metal filter enclosures.

The glue they used back in 76 is some tough stuff, liquid nails of the day..

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts