Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Long story short: I bent a valve on my bike a few days ago. Had been just riding it easy, started to leave from a stop, and it made this funky stuttering noise and died.

With the very generous help of GodZilla (whom I met through this site) we got the motor out and disassembled. And using a flashlight, he showed that the left exhaust valve was not closing by shining in through the exhaust port. There was no visible damage to the cam or rockers but the chain slipper cracked.

I found the guy on Ebay who does the head re-work for $279 and new valves from Common Motor for $100; with shipping & other sundry parts, I'm guessing $450+ just for head work. Then there are sure to be additional parts and pieces. I'd prefer not to invest that much more into the bike so I'm looking for an alternative. This bike is more of a hobby than a passion so I might sell it or part it if there's not a less expensive repair option.

I found a 360 head for sale on Ebay, $80 shipped.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1977-...&_nkw=honda+360+cylinder+head&_from=R40&rt=nc

Description says 1974-1977. My bike is 1976 CB360, engine number 204785. My question is, would this fit my bike? Are there other fitment issues I need to be concerned about? I know I'm taking a chance on a used part but...

I searched but couldn't find an on-point thread. Saw the one sticky about 350's but nothing for 360.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I think I'd have a discussion with HT member Tools1 before I'd send my head to an eBay machinist. He may be able to answer all of your questions too, and I'd definitely price-shop any parts before buying from Common Motor, they're often higher than others

·
Registered
555 Posts
Straight up (as a guy who's had TOOLS do two heads so far, with a third coming that he doesn't yet know about :D ) - he does great work at a great price. Couldn't be happier that he's around.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
FWIW, all 360 heads should fit all models, they are all the same aside from casting differences on the outside. I would be concerned about how many miles that head had as they will and do wear out the valve guides as well as the seats. Cam bearings look decent though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone! On your recommendation, I've been in touch with TOOLS and we're talking it out now. He said from the initial pics that it doesn't look bad. Hopefully this won't turn out so bad after all. I KNEW it when I tried the cam tensioner that it didn't seem like it adjusted. Should have trusted my gut...

Anyway, by some cosmic coincidence, a 1977 CB550K that I had seen more than a year ago came up for sale again. I snapped it up and have already put some miles on it. Really have to do something about the paint; I've already removed the decals... yikes. Haven't decided on the saddlebags yet, either. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I already feel much better about the whole situation.

Jrg33ve7T%O53BjtGtsfCQ.jpg

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts