Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!! I own a 1976 CB200 that seems to leak oil out of the top cover out of the tube. What is causing this? Any ideas? I just rebuilt it, so maybe forgot something, haha, maybe the tappets aren't correctly spaced? I just tightened the cam chain, too. Thought maybe that was it, but no go.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just out of curiosity, this may seem like a dumb question that I couldn't find in my Service Manual or my Owner's Manual, do you check the oil with the engine warm or cold?

Thanks!!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Bad rings, fuel in the oil, or too much oil......Check hot, bike on centerstand, level...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh, well I just replaced the pistons and rings with a matching cylinder, and the oil seems to be 1/2 full in the crank. How would I check for fuel in the oil? The place I took it to did an oil change, but used 'Bel Ray' oil, 10W40, I don't really know what kind of oil this is, but have read about oils with detergent and additives in it can kinda mess up old bikes. Could this maybe be it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, I only ask about the oil, because I really didn't trust the mechanic, my clutch was supposedly slipping, and all he did was forget to back the screw out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. On my bike and my friend's, we adjusted ourselves, and both are fine now. So after that I don't trust anything he did, haha. But I did the pistons and rings myself.

Thanks!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
BelRay oil is fine.....
Fuel gets into the oil if you forget and leave the petcock "on" when parked..(smell the oil)..
Since you just replaced the top end, what is the current compression pressure? (aligned ring gaps or unseated rings could be allowing blow-by)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
66sprint!!!!! Oh my god!!! You're dead on I think!!! I actually leave the petcock on quite regularly (even overnight usually). I had no idea this could happen this way!! Which I suppose makes sense now that I think of the travel of gas and that pesty thing called gravity!! Haha, ok, so if that is it? Do I have to change the oil? Could I have ruined some gaskets? What to do now?

Thanks a million!!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Here's the rub..... Fuel in the oil can cause excessive wear everywhere.....
IF it affected the rings, you have a reason for the excessively LOW compression (it should be 170ish possibly as high as 185....below 155 is re-ring time (140ish cold)
IF it affected the top end lubrication, you could be needing a new camshaft and bearing journals after as few as 5 minutes running (several topics here show the results of such a catastrophy)
Yes, the oil will need to be changed if it smells of fuel AT ALL, but considering your compression, you may want to tear down the top end to ascertain the actual damage if any first... (replace the rings and hone at the minimum.... But it really depends on what/how much destruction you find)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
First, you should tear it down and compile a list of all the parts and what sizes you'll need.... You MAY need to go up two sizes on the piston and rings....Only a tear-down and measurements will tell for sure....Then check Honda, the vendor links here, and ebay.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts