Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I'm new here to the community as over the past weekend I purchased a 1975 Honda Cl360. When I purchased the bike it was in good mechanical order expect for a couple electrical issues that I have competently diagnosed and fixed over the past couple days. I noticed, however, that during today's ride the bike was getting excessively smokey and idling at slightly higher RPM then the past couple days, it is usually between 1100-1200 but today it was going from 1300 to right under 1400. I pulled into my driveway and started to rev it up in neutral and every time the bike was revved white smoke would exit the exhaust. The breathing tube was also expelling a noticeable amount of smoke. The smoke has a burning smell to it, so naturally the oil was checked and the dipstick said it was right at full. I also noticed some fresh oil spots on the engine, left side by exhaust. I decided to let her sit and cool down for a couple hours and unfortunately the smoke was still exiting the exhaust, but the breathing tube had stopped. Been doing a lot of reader and it seems that my problem could range from the rings needing replacement to a full on blown gasket.

Just wondering if anyone has any more specific input they could provide me with, and if those are indeed the issues how hard would the fix be? I am fairly comfortable rebuilding carbs, digging deep with electrical issues, and top engine work, but to be honest a full on engine tear down is a slightly intimidating task due to the severe lack of videos detailing the process (I am a very visual learner so those manuals with one or two crappy shots are not the best for me).

Thanks for the help and happy to meet everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I am not a pro at diagnosing this stuff, but I have come across your similar symptoms in the past: excessive white smoke from breather tube at idle when bike is hot and white smoke from exhaust after adding throttle.

Have you done a compression check on your bike when the engine is warm? It sounds to me like you have oil leaking past the piston rings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts