Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently purchased an 1975 Honda CB500T. It was purchased off a gentleman who rarely road the bike. To my understanding he had it stored in his work garage and would turn it on and ride it around the shop lot every once in a while and would condition the bike for the winter. I've had the bike for a about 2 weeks now. When I bought the bike it was riding and everything seemed normal. No leaks, average idle, nothing out of the ordinary.

I brought the bike home got it insured and register and after 2-3 days of letting it sit finally got on to ride. Went for a couple of spins around my survey and was finally brave enough to hit the roads (This is my first bike, I should add.) Just as I was about to hit the road I stalled and the bike refused to start, Electric or kick, it would not budge. I returned the Bike to my garage for inspection, it ended up starting with a boost. I ended up charging the battery but it wouldn't hold a full charge so I just bought a new one. In the mean time I decided to take to drain and take the tank off. I noticed there was plenty of rust and I began to research ways of removing the rust. I chose the Apple cider vinegar method, which worked excellently. Removed a lot of rust after only letting it sit for 2 days. In the meantime I decided to get new fuel line filters because the old ones had seen their day. I cleaned the petcock valve out as well, it had some junk in it too. I decided to do an oil change as well. Which was a good idea because the oil looked like it was due. Once placing everything back together I was finally ready to ride. Or so I thought. No power was getting to the bike from the battery, no lights, no horn nothing. It ended up being a fuse. I replaced that and voila, power! I felt like the bike was finally ready.

I got the bike started after 2 kicks and it everything seemed fine. The idling isn't as calm as I would like it to be but it is a '75. I let it warm up for a bit and finally took it to the road. I opened up the throttle a couple of times just to give it a nice go and everything seemed to be going well. Got it to a gas station, filled the tank and hit the road again. I drove about 6-8 miles in my city and all of a sudden I'm feeling a loss of power. I'm holding the throttle steady but the bike is slowing down. I pulled over as soon as I could into parking lot and as soon as I came to a stop and let go of the throttle the bike stopped. Again, it would not start. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and went back at it. I finally got it to start but it would only stay on if I gave it gas. Once I got it moving it would not go over 30 mph I basically weaved through some side streets and made it to a relatives house and stopped the bike there again instantly it shut off after releasing the throttle.

So now my issue is that it is very difficult to start, there is a lack of power and it is not idling very well. Could it be that the Carbs need to be cleaned? I let the bike cool down for a while and when I got it to start and it was going fine, but I didn't ride it passed 2nd gear nor for very long. I tried adjusting the carb screws but it would just idle over 2k and drop below 1k on it's own, after I adjusted them. The bike turns off on it's own too. With the petcock valve open I was seeing a leak through a tube that is connected to the RH carb, could this be part of the issue too? I knocked the carb with the end of a screwdriver hoping maybe to knock some dirt loose and it stopped the leak for now, I'm sure these issue swill occur again.

I apologize for such a long thread but I wanted to give as much detail as possible! I am the farthest thing from a mechanic, but I try. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

- Rslewa

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
It's time to go over the whole bike maintenance-wise and YES, then clean and adjust the carbs as per the manual.....
SOME of that rust in the tank probably got to them before you cleaned the tank....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's time to go over the whole bike maintenance-wise and YES, then clean and adjust the carbs as per the manual.....
SOME of that rust in the tank probably got to them before you cleaned the tank....
Thank you, will do.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yep I also need to remove rust from my tank as well.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Just replying over here as well, if you have a rusty tank, there maybe a chance that the vent in the fuel cap is clogged or blocked up and not allowing proper air flow. Test for this is ride the bike till it dies. Pop the tank cap and see if you hear a rush of air when it opens.

Start with the basics and work from there if you can't get the tank clean enough to get all the crap out you may have to use a coating on the inside.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hey, sorry to bring up something that is probably in a million other threads, but what method did you end up using for cleaning your tank. im having a similar problem and the guys at the shop are saying i probably have rust in my tank and it def got into the carbs. On the carb there is a screw at the very bottom, large flathead. I used that tor drain the bowl of the carb without having to take it off and emptied it into a clean cup. it was riddled with bits of something which i assume is either dirt or rust. Get to take the carbs off agian ( i think this is time number 10 or 11 haha)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Had to clean my carbs again today. took one of them apart to see whats going on. few months ago i had paid for a carb kit and rebuild. All of the rubber gaskets, the lil 0 right guys, were crusty, old and one of them was broken and trying to work its way into a little hole. All of my anger realising they did not put my gasket kit in and maybe didnt even buy one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts