Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my hands on an 1975 Honda cb500t which i'm rebuilding into a cafe racer. I have a blog set up that is showcasing my working progress. This is my first build as well I'm very new to this subject. However I'm extremely motivated and excited for this project. please check out my blog and let me know what you guys think. Any comment, suggestion are welcome and would be greatly appreciated. cheers

http://www.pvsdesigncaferacer.blogspot.com

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Welcome aboard (whateveryournameandlocationis)! :lol: Looks like you do nice work. You'll fit in here nicely.

I'll be watching your progress closely..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Matt, between school and work, its hard to find time to get it done. Cheers

Phil

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Man, what a great job. I love the tank. You are going to have a really cool bike.
DOn

·
Registered
44 Posts
Awesome looking project so far! It is cool to see the contrast between the high-tech method (CNC router, CAD, etc...) and the kitchen/garage route so many of us take! Cool that both methods can yeild amazing results...

Could you go into a little detail about how you did your wheel painting? I am thinking about doing it on my 360, but am not sure if it is worth the effort...

Also dig that bicycle you did. I did a nearly identical one-afternoon project for a friend's fixed gear racer not long ago myself, minus the wooden grips (which are, likely, the coolest part on yours!).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Man, I'm still a University student so as you can tell i take advantage of the school's shops and labs.

For the wheel i just took a brushed wheel and spend around 1-2 hours per wheel taking off all the rust, after i cleaned it with paint thinner to remove any grease. Following that i masked off the lip of the rim and painted the rest. I used Duplicolor rim spray paint. I'm not sure if the paint will stay but ah well. If your working with a tight budget, it might be the best way to go. Originally i wanted to replace the spokes and put new one, but i found out its a lot more work and requires a lot of skills to balance the wheel.

Phil

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey, I've also got a CB 500t cafe project, and also a university student, but since I don't get to use the all the fun shops at school (and don't have the talent for design that you do), i'm going the "kitchen/garage route". I figured I should put some pictures of my bike for contrast.

Still waiting for seat upholstery, rearsets and exhaust, but i did manage to machine down the triple tree clamp and put in this sweet light switch:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that bike is pretty sick, bare bones. I love the pull cord you have for the light switch. Do you have a video of the bike running, i wanna know what she sounds like with just the header as the exhaust. Keep me posted. Cheers man

Phil

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Looks like a very nice start you got going there.. Where are you planning on putting that all important battery???

Also, are you planning on going dual discs up front? Those fork lowers are begging for it you know... ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
sav77 said:
that bike is pretty sick, bare bones. I love the pull cord you have for the light switch. Do you have a video of the bike running, i wanna know what she sounds like with just the header as the exhaust. Keep me posted. Cheers man

Phil
450's with only headers sound a lot like a military DC-3 on takeoff - very loud !!

·
Registered
109 Posts
tbpmusic said:
sav77 said:

Phil
450's with only headers sound a lot like a military DC-3 on takeoff - very loud !!
I can believe that. I rode my 360 exactly 3 miles that way before I put the mufflers back once.
Earsplitting loud under power with all kinds of weird pops, gurgles and cackling otherwise. :shock: :shock:
Not pleasant at all, and this is coming out of a guy who is half deaf. :lol:

The CB500T running straight out of the heads in the high school auto shop was even worse though!!! :shock: :lol:
(that was over 20 years ago when I was young & stupid) . . .lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Funny you should say that. I love it with just the headers. When I make the new exhaust, I'm going to try to maintain the sound. It pops and gurgles like mad, and shoots out little flames when I downshift, but I don't think it's too loud; it's much quieter than a harley or some of those annoyingly loud choppers. I'll post a video once my foot heals and I can ride (hopefully in a week or so).

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I love the sound they have at idle with open headers. Like a hot rod tractor..

Oh yeah, if I've missed it then my bad but if not then feel free to start your own build thread rotundapig...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found some time between school and work and my girlfriend... to catch up on my bike project. Started to take the engine apart. so fare so good. Got some parts back from getting them glass bead blasted.

check out the blog for more info

pvsdesigncaferacer.blogspot.com

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts