Honda Twins banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Installed new starter switch. It came in today so I put it on as well as reinstalling the new coils and condenser. I removed the new harness that I had ordered years ago before I got sick. It looked good but some of the wires did not match. I had the factory harness that worked great but I wanted to upgrade everything. I replaced all bearings, including steering, with new tapered bearings and dust covers...etc. New brake shoes in the rear, complete new disk brakes. New, quality tires. New seat cover, mirrors and so on. I replaced all hoses and cables. Because I wanted to upgrade the electrical but only did it part by part and that didn't work.
New regulator rectifier, flasher relays, rear brake indicator, pressure module...and so on. Problem was I didn't replace the bulbs and the upgrades will not work unless you do the fully Monty. Frustrated, and after putting a ton of work in and running out of time, I ordered a new harness made for my bike with all the added electrical upgrades including the reg/rect/flasher relay..bulbs...so on. Figured I wanted it all ready to go and just be put on.
I also made a point of checking every ground and cleaned again, to make sure I had good ground to chassis. I went a bit further down the rabbit hole by branching off of grounds by splicing into existing grounds. Leaving the original ground but adding a wire to another ground to the chassis. Overkill but you can't over ground and I don't have to question that as an issue.
This wait time has been good as I've got to see the schematics with a clear mind. I drew my own wiring diagram which was fun and for me (ocd) it was good fun. It also gave clarity to all of it. Did individual diagrams for each switch and all that attaches, then did a master that has all of it.
Lasty (thank God this guy is shutting up) I'm going to use at least one green ground from the harness to tie directly into a good ground on the frame. I think this is a good idea as a solid ground for the harness is a must. Again, you can't over ground.
If I'm wrong with anything, please comment. I appreciate you folks that offer suggestions. It helps so much

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I posted this on another forum as well so if you see it elsewhere, it's because I'm too lazy to type original content on the same subject. Ha
Got my new Harness in with upgrades to the rect/reg combo, flasher relay and proper bulbs. I had the upgrades before but the new harness I bought had too many issues. This harness was a reproduction made for my bike with electrical upgrades including the right bulbs. I love it. Gauge of the wires are great as is the color matching the original Honda. No un-necessary wiring and the wires are the proper length and proper fittings.
It has a different flasher relay that's square and fits at the front of the bike. Not the round blue one that I was having issues with. It has it's own dedicated wires and fits where an original relay was. Cool. I love the harness and will be installing it tonight if I have the strength after my meetings and how the weather change messes with me. Ha.
I think it's ok to say where I got it, and if it's not, go a head and delete it. I have no relationship with this company and only found out about them from a forum I was rightfully kicked off of.
I bought it from Spark Moto who I think is a small company but they have great harnesses.
I'll post a pic of it tonight if I can start the install of it

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got the wife and I new Iphone 14 pros today. I wanted her to have a top shelf phone because she really uses hers a lot. Plus my phone was done. I wanted something that takes better pics and faster. This does both.
Here's 3 pics. The first two *have to look closely...Ha" are the new mirrors I got for the 360 rebuild. I had new factory copies but I just liked these more. Very sleek and shiny...I like shiny things. The last pic is of my new harness. Note the orange flasher relay. It replaces the blue round thing that I just didn't have any luck with. I like this harness as it's made to fit my bike exactly and not my bike having to adapt to a harness. Good quality wire as well. Very smartly put together.
I planned on putting the harness on today and the wheel assembly, front brakes...etc, and have it ready to crank by Sunday or late Sat night. I just didn't have enough energy. Fighting a touch of pneumonia and my thoracic and oncologist gave my wife permission to beat me with my autographed Liouville slugger. Plus, I don't want her to damage the signature.
Here's a couple of pics. Not much but I hope to have more tomorrow.
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bicycle handlebar Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bicycle handlebar Engineering
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Finished with the new wiring and other upgrades, so I installed the upgraded wheel and new tire. Including the full brake/caliper/hoses/banjo's and so on, put wheel on. Adjusted the brakes and bled the line but not the caliper because I have no excuse. Ha. Have new hoses and cables but put a few drops of oil in them and will hook them up quickly.
Plan on adjusting the rear chain/wheel as that's all it needs. Might put on the chain guard too.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I quit. Got the clutch installed (a bit stiff even with all new cables and I oiled them last night), lubed the chain, put in a new battery. No start. No indicator light for neutral. No indicator for the right turn signal but I do for the left. Head light hi/lo works. blinkers work but slow. Rear brake light works front no. Horn works. I can cross wire the starter solenoid and starter does great turning over the engine. Just button for stater does not work. I've bought full replacement harnesses with upgraded bulbs, flasher relays, reg/rect (two new sets). Ate that cost but that's ok. I saw where someone had to use a splitter diode in the headlight bucket but it didn't come with either upgrade kits.
I put a ton of work in this and loved it but I'm exhausted. I'm going to try and find someone to fix it (even though I've done everything right. Only thing I haven't replaced is the the two handle bar switches(controls).
Regardless I'm so disappointed in myself that this didn't work. I'll try to find someone to fix it or I'll just take it apart and sell of each piece and use the money to buy a rebuilt bike.
I'm running out of time and can't depend on another year working on this bike.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
New right handle bar switch in Friday along with a diode splitter. Found a better way to remove the harness from inside the handle bar. Most use dawn soap or another dish soap to coat the inside of the bar to help the very big harness to be pulled out. The dish soap works I guess but it's a mess that stays a mess. Also makes it hard to work with the harness. When it dries it's ever worse and hard to get it all out when you put the new harness in. Then I thought about Clp. I use it on my expensive guns and it's ok with wiring, glass, metals and it's a penetrating oil. Used it and the harness wasn't as hard as I've seen on YT. As a matter of fact, much easier. Ran a bore snake down the bar with a double knot on the end and it picked up some of the rust. Not much clp remained as it soaked into the metal inside. That's good.
I figure I'll just coat the new harness and install. I think it's a good plan. Here's YT vid

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Came home today after lunch and found a surprise. I had been busy getting the last of the stuff I needed to chase the Gremlins away and finish the rebuild. Ordered a new modular LS 2 helmet when I found one on sale at RevZilla. I have a long oval head and it's hard to find that size. Plus, I live in Oklahoma. A modular helmet is good to have on humid days. The LS 2 is a big helmet but it's great in quality. I'll set up blue tooth in it just like I did my Icon Airlite. Ordered the helmet with a custom visor (separately) in blue to match the bike. With them I had a new handle bar switch ordered from Common Motors Collective to replace the factory one that had a few nicks in the wires. (I'll redo the original and keep it as the original when it's passed down or sold.
Got home and sitting on the porch was both the visor/helmet shield and my handle bar switch (ON/OFF RUN/STOP and Start button). VERY COOL Had almost everything I needed except the splitter diode I need for the upgrade electrical.
Also found a small nick in the clutch safety switch that I had missed. Was going to buy a new one but decided to solder it and shrink wrap around that piece. Looks great and has continuity.
Also got an email that my new modular helmet has been sent. I have a couple of blue Honda skull decals I'll put on the helmet when it gets in and I'll decide which blue tooth I'll use on it.
Diode should be on the way soon. I'll put my Gremlin bell on anyway.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts