Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find if I have a thread on this or not but here's a pic of my bike now. I took it down to the frame, hand sanded, rattle can frame, all new elec/bearings/cond/flash/brakes/tires/hoses/cables..yada yada. Tank and side panels will be done next week. I'll put the front wheel and cal's on this week along with the tire but I think I'll do the wiring harness and bucket/turns ect first.
It was a rusty bucket when I got it, but it ran well. I was hoping to have it done by mid to late summer but health wouldn't allow it. That's cool. I've enjoyed every stuck Honda phillips head screw and cut finger. Here's a pic I took I think yesterday.
Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle handlebar

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a few but lost a bunch because....because I have no idea. I'll put a couple up. I have a bunch still that goes through all the process. I did all the work by hand and what I had around my garage/workshed. I'm an Okie and I love doing stuff like this. Had to learn on the way.
Here's something but I don't want to take up too much room.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Automotive fuel system
Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Rim Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Rim Automotive exterior
Gear Automotive tire Screw Auto part Engineering
Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire Fender Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a bit cold and raining in Oklahoma today but I'm going to spend the day on the rats nest of bucket wires. This part is tedious but that's ok.
I had asked on another good forum and I'll ask here. If you have a picture of the harness/controls/connections, and you don't mind, post those pics here. I'm OCD and this will be a process for me....Ha.
Thanks if you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have done fantastic on the restoration so far. I wish I could help with the wiring and pics. I'm still in the wiring process on mine. I purchased a cheap harness off eBay and have been trying to figure that out. Highsight, I wish I purchased the one from 4 into 1. The cheap harness is working, but all the wires are different colors so it makes diagrams almost worthless. Good luck and keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the same thing but it wasn't a cheap one. I messed with it for a long time trying to make it work but the color codes were crazy. I gave up and went back with my factory harness and glad I did. It was it perfect shape with only a couple of ends I needed to fix. Now I've got the bucket rat's nest all connected and all connections back to, and including the left/right controls out of the handle bar that connect to the next rat nest of wires. Ha. But I've got them all properly connected and everything matches it fittings .....wait for it.....except one brown wire in the bucket. Ha.
Here's a picture of the wire. It's solid brown and my harness has zero open plugs. I know the remaining blue(2) and white wires are for the head lamp, but I'm lost on this brown wire.
I think I'm going to take a number of pictures of the wiring and if someone wants a visual, I think this will help rather than looking at wiring diagrams that may or may not be right.
Let me know if anyone knows where this goes.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Finger Automotive lighting Electrical wiring

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cal: I'll be happy to help. Just let me know. I learned by doing and it helps. I'm not as skilled as others, but I'll bet I can figure it out now. Plus, it would be fun to help ya

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brown wire does nothing. It's a parking light. It's a key on hot so it could be used for other stuff like a batter meter or like I intend, a charger port.
Finished putting the headlight nest of wires in the bucket and putting the headlight on. Wired to just before the battery so I need to decide where to anchor the harness without having the tank to find the best spot. Here's a pic of todays work
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Automotive design

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. One more favor. Here are 3 pictures. They my condenser wires that are both red but one is red with black ring. The other picture has shows the blue coil wires and the last shows the two wires coming from the points that I just put in the two coil blue wires...because they have to go somewhere. The point wires are blue and yellow.... The black with white stripe coil wires I connected to a proper duel black and white stripe connector.
Tell me which side coil blue connecter each red condenser wire goes to particularly the one with the black. Second, Which blue/yellow go to which coil or does it matter?
HELP
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Rim Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Auto part Machine

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really disappointed in myself. I've screwed up my wiring so bad I've just had to step away from the project for a while. My tank and side panels will be ready tomorrow so I guess I'll pick them up and just look at them. Surly I can't screw that up..Ha.
I was so sure I had the correct wiring I buttoned up the harness and created perfect paths for all the wired and hookups. Every thing was clean, tight and perfect for an OCD butt like me. I made sure everything connected to it's proper mate/connection. Everything is the same except the upgrades I did with the coils, condenser, flasher, reg/rect. combo....etc. Even use the old harness that was working great when I took it out to exchange for a new one made by a dyslexic colorblind enemy of the state sort of a dude. Put the battery (new) in and first tried the horn. Just a tic out of it. Thought maybe a ground not doing it's job. Next the left turn just turned the light on in the front not the back and no blink. Right was a no go. Head light would work on high but no low beam. Hit the starter and not even a tick out of the solenoid.
I'm frustrated and tired. Think I'll take some time and do one of my other hobbies. Shooting. I love to distance shooting and I'm not bad out to 1400 yds on steel. We have a couple of set ups, with my friends, we have a great private place we made for shooting at 1400 in, Also set up pistol trees and other stuff to compete with each other. I'm a reloader and had pretty good load developed for my Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action. A pure bench gun with the weight, optics and suppressor, but we have a great bench for that.
I just need to NOT go out to the shed and start trying to figure out where I screwed up. Very disappointed in myself.
Posted this on another forum as I bragged about having everything tip top there too.
Not a happy puppy right now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just checking in
,our range has a poster about depressed people and guns. I can hold those guns for you for a while (it's antelope season out here).
Seriously your problems are run of the mill and as long as you didn't let the smoke out of anything it is just a slow and steady bit by bit trouble shooting. I never finalize wiring till I hook it up and make sure everything works. sometimes I use a handfull of jumper wires to set it all up and make sure it works.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just checking in
,our range has a poster about depressed people and guns. I can hold those guns for you for a while (it's antelope season out here).
Seriously your problems are run of the mill and as long as you didn't let the smoke out of anything it is just a slow and steady bit by bit trouble shooting. I never finalize wiring till I hook it up and make sure everything works. sometimes I use a handfull of jumper wires to set it all up and make sure it works.
You should come to Oklahoma....any season. Where I life we are thick with Deer Turkey, Wild hogs (hate the hogs), dove and on and on.
Just checking in
Just checking in

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may just take my lever actions out. I have a collection of Henrys including the new 223/556 long ranger with the side gate. If they allowed gun pics, I'd put one up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As long as it's made by honda and has two cylinders...there are lots of forums for firearms discussion and even they have some rules.

As far as Oklahoma, I spent some time just outside Lawton making loud noises and freezing in the winter. Where I live in montana we have seasons on wolf, bear, deer, elk, moose.
.I also have a Super Hawk project but it's one made in 1998 and has 1000cc. Should have kept the 1965 305 super hawk, it would make a nice pair in the garage.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my Tank, Side Panels, Points cover, disk brake cover and chain cover from the paint dude. This guy put a ton of clear coats and sanding to get this quality. Tank was rough and now it's perfect. Same with ever part. This is one outstanding paint/body work but my paint dude worked with some of the best show cars in the business. I'm lucky to get him.
My phone camera does no justice to his work. It looks 10 times better in real life. I'm glad I didn't go with the factory blue. I picked out this one after he mixed a coupe of options. I like my choice
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Sports equipment Automotive design
Sports gear Automotive tire Gadget Tints and shades Automotive design
Hood Blue Sports gear Automotive lighting Sports equipment

·
Registered
1975 CL360
132 Posts
Answering post #9 about the coils and condenser:
The coil with yellow wire was on the left (hand clutch side), above the key switch. Blue wire coil on the right of the frame (hand throttle side).
The condenser red wires connect one to each coil at the y-connector, does not matter which wire to which coil.
Left side ignition point triggers the left side coil (yellow wire). Right side point fires the right side coil (blue wire).

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Answering post #9 about the coils and condenser:
The coil with yellow wire was on the left (hand clutch side), above the key switch. Blue wire coil on the right of the frame (hand throttle side).
The condenser red wires connect one to each coil at the y-connector, does not matter which wire to which coil.
Left side ignition point triggers the left side coil (yellow wire). Right side point fires the right side coil (blue wire).
Thank you. I had bought two new coils and they were both the same color blue. Even though the manufacturer said they were interchangeable, I just didn't think they could be.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
If you just keep at it, your mind will begin to sort things out. That happened today. Oddly as it sounds, I was forcing my mind to tell me something wrong on the electrical and my mind kept telling me I'm wrong think about it some more and get back to me. It did and I did. Not sure why, but the stumbling block I was hitting in tracing the wires was extremely simple and I kept jumping over it. Thank you cerebral cortex. I got it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts