Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!
I have a Honda Cb360 I bought last year and started to fix it up a little here and there. My wife wanted to start riding as well and I thought it would be a great idea to get her a bike similar to mine to start out. So I found one and bought a 1975 360t last November in Minnesota( I live in Iowa but close to the border) and I bought it without a title. The man I bought it from gave me a bill of sale and said he got the bike from his neighbor that was old and lost the title to it and said I could apply for a bonded title. So i wasnt worried about it and got the bike running at least and ordered a few parts to get it going the past couple of months because I was excited to ride with my wife.
Well I checked more into it and because I bought it in Minnesota I cant get a bonded title from a Iowa court house and I cant apply for one in Minnesota because the previous owner has to do that. So all this to say that I bought this bike for $500 and I cant get the title for it which is a mistake by me. So I now would like to get my money back out of the bike and was wondering what would be the best way to go about it. Should I sell the bike for parts on craigslist? Part out the bike and sell the parts on Ebay? Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You might try to find a parts bike with a title. In Ohio you can rebuild it and apply for a rebuilt salvage title. Makes it harder to sell down the road but at least you can tag it and ride it.

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not very familiar with this process and it looks a little like misleading the dmv about where the bike came from. Does anybody have any personal experience with his way of reacquiring a title this way?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Most states have a procedure for getting a title for an abandoned vehicle. I just went thru the process here in Virginia, and am waiting for the title to be mailed to me now. The process here takes a couple of months, and costs $25. The trip to DMV to apply for the title and pay the taxes cost another $90. See if Iowa has a similar procedure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look it up on Vermont RMV, just need to pay fees (not unreasonable) and get a local peace officer to inspect/verify VIN and sign off on the form.

Another way I have titled my bill-of-sale only bikes in Massachusetts is to get a notarized bill of sale from my seller stating some of the facts surrounding the bike and their purchase. Then I could get a title if I paid their sales tax plus mine, so for about $100 total (assuming low sales prices of a couple hundred dollars max) I got a new title - done it 3 times now, may be able to do similar in other states. It's not commonly known, and I would get different answers and responses from RMV depending on who I asked. One clown at RMV said "You shouldn't have bought the bike then!". I went back to Tony at title division like I did before, and voila, new title for 1975 Yamaha for $80.

Lastly, you can find out last registered owner of record (better if its the current seller or his neighbor/friend in your case) and pay to get duplicate title sent to them (if they are willing to work with you/toss them a bone) then go from there - I've gone this route before as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a awesome lead on a bike 2 hours away from me that I though was the answer to all my problems. Honda 360 with a broken cam chain but everything was still there and a title for only $400. I got so excited and messaged the seller and planned to meet in 5 hours but the jackwagon sold it to somebody else for $375. Total bummer and really regretting not going to get it last night. But we live to search and buy again right???
I looked in the Vermont process and think this is probably my best bet for getting a title for this bike. I can look more into a salvage title but the people down at the DMV are not always the friendliest. I posted on craigslist in 3 different locations that I am looking for a parts bike with a title and hope that I get a lead on something so that I can get one that way as well. The thought about selling the bike for parts now just makes my stomach hurt because I would hate to get rid of a complete vintage bike when I really just need the title. I appreciate the feedback and ways for me to title this one so if anyone else has a magic way for getting her on the road please let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts