Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
20140718_200922.jpg
Hello there, My name is Brian and I am embarking on a grand mission of building my first bike. I was able to pick up a very reasonably priced ($350) CL360 last summer (May 2014) and have begun the time-staking process of dismantling the bike. The bike was completely original along with a dealer installed sissy bar. Even the rubber was original. The odometer reads a little over 10K miles and the title was last registered in 1982.
20150208_173137.jpg
There was a lot to be desired as far as cosmetics is concerned, with a nice coat of red rust over the majority of the bike. I have attached images of what the carbs and fuel tank looked like upon closer examination. I ended up spending the better part of two weeks cleaning the carbs to get them as good as humanly possible without rebuilding them I did however run down to the local Honda shop to get a pair of new gaskets. The tank was soaked with rust-buster and small steel media and shaken for around 5 hours. There is still some deep pits that I could not fix, but I am hoping that will not hinder the performance too badly. The petcock was shot, so I recently bought a replacement from Amazon along with a new gasket for the fuel filler cap.

After getting things apart a bit more I found the following will need some attention:
Broken push and pull throttle cables
Front brake drum stuck
Air filters fully clogged
(Passenger Side?) Ignition coil wire deteriorated
Seat cushion needs replaced

Attachments

Reactions: stud_beefpile

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After all the time and sweat that went into just cleaning these couple items, here is what they look like now.
20140728_183328.jpg
20140803_103056.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Looking good Mr. Guthrie!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ran into a slight problem with electrical last night. I recently replaced the stock handlebars with some of the same basic shape but slightly shorter and with less (pitch?) back to the rider. I drilled the bars and pulled all the electrical. I was trying to reconnect the new throttle cables when, POP, the two wires soldered into the ignition button broke loose. It appears that the P/O had done some work as the solder points are more like mountains and the wires are dangerously short. So... I guess I will be splicing a small section of wire and cleaning up the contact points before I can move forward.
Someone once said that it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Well this bike has the potential to be one heck of a journey. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weather has finally broke and I have gotten to some aesthetic improvements.
Rear Fender before 1.jpg Rear Fender Before 2.jpg
This is the rear fender before .
Rear fender shot 1.jpg Rear fender shot 2.jpg Rear fender cut.jpg
I shot blasted it and chopped it just a bit, to bring it into a more modern time.
Rear fender primer.jpg Rear Fender painted.jpg
All painted with a zinc rich anti-corrosive base and a top coat that has a killer effect in the sun.
Top Coat Sun effect.jpg
In all aspects the paint is black (I know because I made it), but put it in the direct sun and tada... a prism of colors in the refraction.

I also did the tail light/ plate bracket.
Taillight before.jpg Taillight After.jpg

When I get home this evening, after firing up the grill, I plan to continue wiring in the new ignition coils.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the petcock went for around 27 USD on amazon and showed up in Ohio in about 5 days. Haven't gotten to try it out yet tho.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, this was a good week. Over Easter weekend, my Father-In-Law stopped over and saw that my coils were hooked up. He suggested that we put the plug wires on and see if she would fire up. I passed due to having company over and not wanting to get into a project with all eyes on me. The following evening I went out to the garage for a smoke and decided to follow his advice. Low and behold... she fired first kick. And she hasn't stopped. I slipped her into first while up on a center stand and noticed that every time the chain makes a full rotation, it kind of jerks. I am assuming that since the chain is over 30 years old there might be a bind. So I will order a replacement chain and get the wheels apart. Set in some new shoes and then wait until I can save up enough for a new set of rubbers.

This is my first bike, and I swear it is like taking a really good drug hearing her run so smoothly after such a long time.

Hope you all had a great weekend also,
Brian.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts