Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. My CL has been giving me some issues. It would bog down and die after riding it for a while. Also running on one cylinder.
Did compression test finding that one had low compression. Opened up top end and fixed that. Rode it and now both cylinders fire but it still bogs down and dies if i ride on low rpm. But it only occurs after ive been riding for a little. Carb diaphragms are fine and switched out old coils with xs650 coils. Did a test with a voltmeter while the bike was running across the positive and ground of the battery. Battery sat at 12 V. While running it showed 12.50 V. I Have a feeling this might be the problem or part of the problem that the charging system is not working properly. Isn't it supposed to be producing 3-4 V more to keep the battery charged?
Does anyone have any ideas? Or any help that they can offer?
If you can thank you!
So far everyone has been extremely helpful.
I'm very grateful.
_Tim

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
You SHOULD see a spark at the points when it's running right? I thought that's what the condenser did was to arrest that spark so the points didn't wear out? I've always thought it was bad to have blue sparks at the points, but correct me if I'm wrong, because it's always been gray area for me.

My bike doesn't arc between the points, and behaves similarly to this (cuts out once it heats up.) I'm also not getting any visible spark at the point gap unless I hold a screwdriver there just to verify that there is indeed electricity flowing between them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok. Well thank you for reply! Charging system doesnt seem to be that bad but i will recheck, as i rode it to work last night. And i am definitely going to mess with the points today because it seems like you had the exact problem. So thank you, and ill let you know what happens!
Much appreciated,
_Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts