Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I have fitted a Charlies Place Electronic Ignition to my CB500T, but when i check the timing on the LH side, the light comes on when the LF mark is approx 180 degress from where it should be.

I have tried following the instructions but i'am now confused as instructions are for a CB450 aswell

One thing i noticed is that my Advancer plate has writing on both sides, so i'am unsure which way the advancer plate should be fitted, and which way the magnet needs to go.

I have also fitted a set of Dynocoils and Mikuni carbs.

Any help would be much appreciated

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'm not familiar with Charlie's Place ignition - does it use the stock advancer? If so, from the pictures I see at their website it looks like the replacement for the breaker cam goes on the OEM advance unit and could go on 180° out much like the stock one for points, which would put your timing way off. Pictures of your situation would probably help too

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it uses the stock advancer, but im not sure that the advancer is the correct way round.

I will upload some photos when i can.

because of the way the charlies plate has been machine, i think it can only go one the way around, thats why i was questioning the orientation of the stock advancer plate.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The advance mechanism has alignment marks so the cam and base plate are assembled properly, they're very visible if you look closely.
If you do a search in the 450's section, i don't remember if it's in the engine or electrical section, there is a nice comparison of the advancers used and their various alignment marks.
I'll post a link if I can find it.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
That does look to be an advancer from a CB450 as mine does not look like that

This is what mine looks like

Regardless though the CB450 advancer should work anyway. Try flipping it.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
^^^and maybe get the proper size flat washer for the rotor (or whatever they call the piece for the electronics that goes on the advancer) so it doesn't come out over the bolt head. It should look like this (note the black, full-sized washer behind the bolt head so the OEM breaker cam does not come off the center post)

Contact Breaker Point Gap and ignition Timing Adjustment

and I also found this, just FYI... I didn't know there was a difference but it makes sense

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/57-electrical-discussion/34645-spark-advance-mechanism-points-backing-plate-help.html#post274753

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the info

Will look into getting the washer to hold the rotor on.

Spoke to Charlie's Place, they were really helpful, and have offered to send a different rotor that should work with the advancer plate that i have

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know if a standard washer can be used to hold the rotor onto the shaft, or does it need to be a certain material??

Just wondering as its right next to the rotor magnet, pick up coils etc..

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
It just needs to be wide enough to stop anything from sliding off.

I have a Charlies Place systm on (2) 350 Twins.
Mine is a stainless steel washer but only because it's what I had.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mikuni Carbs w/ Charlies Place Ignition

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I have fitted a Charlies Place Electronic Ignition to my CB500T, but when i check the timing on the LH side, the light comes on when the LF mark is approx 180 degress from where it should be.

I have tried following the instructions but i'am now confused as instructions are for a CB450 aswell

One thing i noticed is that my Advancer plate has writing on both sides, so i'am unsure which way the advancer plate should be fitted, and which way the magnet needs to go.

I have also fitted a set of Dynocoils and Mikuni carbs.

Any help would be much appreciated

Did you get your bike running successfully? I have a CB500T as well, with Charlie's Place Ignition and Mikuni VM32's. And I for the life of me can NOT get this bike to even start! I have tried so many different things at this point, that I am forced to ask for assistance online. If you or anyone you know has been able to successfully run your bike, then my bike should match up with whatever it is that you adjusted, changed, etc. Any advice at this point, is greatly appreciated!! Thank you,

-William

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Don't know where you live, but if you can, phone me to discuss this....
Preferably while you can be at and work on the bike.....

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Did you get your bike running successfully? I have a CB500T as well, with Charlie's Place Ignition and Mikuni VM32's. And I for the life of me can NOT get this bike to even start! I have tried so many different things at this point, that I am forced to ask for assistance online. If you or anyone you know has been able to successfully run your bike, then my bike should match up with whatever it is that you adjusted, changed, etc. Any advice at this point, is greatly appreciated!! Thank you,

-William

William.

If you still have the original points, I would put those back on and make sure your bike will actually start and run on points first before jumping on the electronic ignition bandwagon. If it won't start and run with points no way it will run with the Charlie's Place EI.

Otherwise pick up the phone and call Steve (66Sprint) as he suggested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right, so I missed out quite a bit here. I have the following completed successfully:
- The bike ran already, earlier this summer. The issue that seemed to be, was the original pickups needed to be adjusted. I thought by eliminating the pickups all together would have helped the reliability of the bike.
- Battery is charged
- Condensors removed per Charlie's instructions.
- Actually watched/ followed that video a bout 10-15 times.
- It is concluded that the NEW Charlie's Place pickups are installed correctly.
- They are also timed perfectly, to light up at the LF & F marks.
- I also installed Mikuni VM32 Carb Kit from Dime City Cycles.
- Cables for both chokes were installed and synced perfectly.
- Throttle cables were installed and synced up perfectly.
- I've tried starting it with the pilot/ air flow screw adjusted about 20 different times or so.
- The spark plugs foul up (soak with) the majority of the time.
- I've tried starter fluid.
- I've throttling them open fully and down a few different ways.
- I've checked the float bowl heights.
- There is officially Fuel, Compression, and Spark.
- Is the spark supposed to be MUCH brighter?

If you need any more answers, please just ask and I will give you the details as best I can.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
What do you mean by this statement?

- The bike ran already, earlier this summer. The issue that seemed to be, was the original pickups needed to be adjusted. I thought by eliminating the pickups all together would have helped the reliability of the bike.

What "pickups"? Did you mean you eliminated the original points by using the Charlie's Place electronic ignition and expecting it to solve the ignition issues you had?

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
ARE YOU SURE that when adjusting to the LF and F mark /index alignments you were on the COMPRESSION STROKE for the cylinder you were timing in?

Phone and I'll tell you how BEST to verify that......

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
My apologies, the points***. AND I'm absolutely positive that I have them lining up to the LF & F marks.
BUT are you aligning them on the correct engine STROKE?
LF and F alignment each occurs TWICE during the engine's four strokes......
ONLY one of the two strokes showing index alignment is correct....50/50 chance .....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts