Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help with the wiring on my CB500T.

Since I bought the bike, I never got bike running tidy, it would never start on the electric start but did get it to run off kickstart.

I have recently changed to a Charlie’s Place Ignition, fitted Dyna coils and fitted new Mikuni Carbs

I have checked and set timing, but now overnight it seems, I have no headlight coming on, no neutral light and the bike won’t start.

I removed starter switch assembly off handle bars and as soon as I did, electric start button worked and turned engine over and over but did not fire into life.

I noticed in the switch assembly, that there is a red and green wire that is not connected but seems to have electrical tape over it?? Any ideas where this should be connected to??

I pulled out spark plugs and there’s a big spark being generated.

So I’m wondering if the headlight not working, neutral light not working, is have anything to do with the engine not starting off either the kickstart or electric start button?

And if anyone can explain how the electric circuit works, so I can fault find on it??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know what the red/green wire in the starter switch assembly is for??

and where it should be connected to?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Should be a yellow/red. A green/red and a light green/red connect to a diode but shouldn't be in the starter switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll double check the colour then.

If it is yellow/red, where does it need to be connected to??

I can see some solder joints, but can not tell which one its come from

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I've never had my switch out so couldn't show you which contact it connects to but it sends power to the start contactor when the start button is pushed. A pic of your switch would help.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Your switch may not even be from the same bike. IN which case it would be a case of trial and error and following the leads to find out where everything is suppose to go.
And yes pics would help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I just double checked, and it’s the red/black wire that’s disconnected, the yellow/red and the black wires are connected.

Looking at the wiring diagram, the red/black is the headlight feed, so atleast I know why my headlight is not coming on!

Thanks, now I just need to find out why she’s not starting

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also my neutral light is not coming on, will the bike start if the neutral bike is faulty??

Or is there a way of bypassing it, so I can rule it out??

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Check your neutral switch which is just behind the clutch adjuster cover.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
The neutral safety lock keeps the bike from cranking but doesn't stop ignition.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is this thread missing 10 posts?
I’m having weird electrical random shut offs and have a feeling this feed has an answer but I can only see the first and last post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dsmith I'm sure if you add your problem to this post then someone will help you out.

Im still getting my problem, but need to spend some time eliminating a few things that it could be

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok cool.
I see the rest now.
Here’s my issue. I have a 1976 cb500t and it has ran great for awhile now except have started to suspect a cool was about to burn out. After a long ride sometime the idle was squirrelly. Bouncing below 1000 rpm. Besides that great. Valves correct. Carbs cleaned and adjusted. Battery charging etc.

I went for a 30 mile ride and it ran great. 2 hours later went out and all the electrics were totally dead. The key didn’t turn the headlight , neutral light , anything. Battery was at 13 volts according to a small meter I keep with me.
I was able to kick start the bike but it was only firing on one cylinder, occasionally backfiring the second cylinder.
Any idea why all the electrics would be dead after a healthy ride? Checked loose connections and everything looked tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts