Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon friends!
I was in the process of replacing the front and rear sprockets on a barn find CB450 and I noticed two rat chewed white wires (see photo) in the vicinity of the front sprocket. All if the lights and other electrical systems seem to work on the bike, so I'm puzzled as to what they control. Any thoughts.....?
Thanks!

Sorry, I meant to say 1973 CB450 K6

IMG_4183.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Those are your alternator wires, you'll need those.

RR.jpg

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The neutral light switch is in there too. Clean all the gunk out of there. I suggest getting some high quality automotive wire and solder and heat shrink wrap the joint. As Jim says these wire are important.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The neutral light switch is barely visible at the top of that photo, so I suspect it and its wire is fine. The damaged wires were supposed to be held by a clamping tab on that switch, also visible just above the clutch throw-out rod. The three wires from the stator were in a jacket, and joined by the neutral switch wire, before going out and up the back of the transmission to the round connector that joins the main harness.
Looks like you drilled out the screws that held the sprocket cover.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I had to drill off the phillips head on the original bolts to get in there . I have replacement allen head bolts to go back in.

So, are we saying that I need to connect the two white wires to the clamping tab on the neutral switch?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I believe one is pink and one yellow but the colors may have faded.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Yes, I had to drill off the phillips head on the original bolts to get in there . I have replacement allen head bolts to go back in.

So, are we saying that I need to connect the two white wires to the clamping tab on the neutral switch?
You need to find the other ends, and connect them. Matching the colors could be a problem, though. If you have a good quality Ohm meter, you can determine what the colors should be from the readings between each of the three wires.

The other ends should be in the torn end of the harness, which is probably on the other end of the clamp on the neutral switch. Follow the one wire that is still in one piece past the clamp, and it should lead you to the torn ends of the other two. If they are still under the clamp, you will have to free them, and splice in a bit of wire to each one to make up how much was lost. I would solder the bits in, and cover the joint with some copper-safe RTV, and cover that with heat-shrinkable tubing. If you are very lucky, and have a well-stocked electronics shop nearby, you can find heat-shrink that has a ring of solder in the center, and hot-melt sealant near each end.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I have the neutral switch out (see photo), are we saying that the two whitish wires get soldered to the posts on the neutral switch or to wires that have been chewed off deeper in the sleeve?

IMG_4184.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, thanks to all of you guys and Brenden at Common Motor Cycle shop, I think I'm headed in the right direction. Brenden said that those three wires coming through that little rubber gromet into the front sprocket area do not connect to the neutral switch but pass through that compartment and connect to the wiring harness plug found under the rubber boot behind the carbs. I'm on the trail looking for those lost ends now.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would just open the stator cover, get the stator out and measure everything with a multimeter. It won’t hurt to see how the stator is doing and see if someone has modified the cables already.
The screws btw are not Phillips but JIS head screws. Most people think they’re Phillips and that’s why you have to drill them out in the end.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All three wires splices, soldered, shrink wrapped and tucked back into place, all systems working!
Thanks again!

IMG_4185.jpg

Reactions: ancientdad
1 - 12 of 12 Posts