Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. It has been a while since I've been on here but because of this covid virus ive got an excuse to make some time to do some wrenching on my moto. Ive been working on restoring it since october 2018 and have had to take a break for the past 10 months or so. But now im back. Quite a few more problems have arisen since ive done some more research and wrenching. so a little background, I had this motorcycle running, not well but running at idle about a year ago, but the right side barely ran and the left side almost ran too strongly. IE no to little exhaust from right and copious amounts on the left. Now the left side was fouling spark plugs in a matter of minutes of running. So earlier today I decided id test the spark after having the battery recharging overnight on the tender I tested the spark and got nothing, either side, like maybe a tiny tiny little yellow spark on the left but just barely. I also cant use the starter button to start the bike and couldnt a year ago either, Id have to kick it over. So to me it seems like there are alot of issues going on at once but I want to work my way through all of them and get this thing running, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. I also left the bike in a rush a couple of months back after removing the spark plugs so it accidentally sat in my garage without plugs in for a while, (im kicking myself for that), but I dont think it did any damage or whatnot as I live in North Carolina and we havent really had a whole lot of humidity while the plugs where out. but if that could have also made a difference let me know. I also checked the spark with both the old and new plugs with the same result.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If the battery sat all that time and you only put the tender on it in the last few days, the battery is done. Hopefully no insects made their way into the plug holes and started to build something (mud dobbers, etc) as a year with open plug holes, even inside, isn't a good thing

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the battery sat all that time and you only put the tender on it in the last few days, the battery is done. Hopefully no insects made their way into the plug holes and started to build something (mud dobbers, etc) as a year with open plug holes, even inside, isn't a good thing
ok thanks tom! So I should get a new battery? and the plug holes looked fairly clean and empty to me but the only real way would be to take the engine apart wouldnt it?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You can turn the engine over by hand while watching the plug holes with a flashlight. You'll be able to see anything major. Unless of course you happen to have an endoscope, you can get a cheap one on e-bay for about $12.

Charge your battery, then take it to an auto parts store. They can test it for you and can also supply an appropriate replacement.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^Yup, what he said. A cheap borescope or inspection camera that will fit into the plug hole will give you a look around, and hopefully there won't be any significant rust or other stuff in the cylinders. I'd be pretty skeptical about that battery after a year of inactivity, but you can always get it tested

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^Yup, what he said. A cheap borescope or inspection camera that will fit into the plug hole will give you a look around, and hopefully there won't be any significant rust or other stuff in the cylinders. I'd be pretty skeptical about that battery after a year of inactivity, but you can always get it tested
ok thanks so much guys!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I just wanted to respond and let you guys know I figured out the largest outstanding issue. One that was there when I purchased the bike and didn’t realize it was there. I was never able to see it clearly thought the spark plug hole until I had gotten and used a endoscope. That’s the top of my right side piston.
A23A5FCD-A622-46D2-96AE-3F872F24E007.jpeg

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Displacement has little to do with it.......Maintenance, adjustments, set-up, and how high it was over-revved are likely causes......Tear it down and give us a good look......

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Have you ever seen that happen on a bike of this size before?
In answer to your question - yes, I've seen Honda 100cc singles do similar damage. As Steve alluded to, there are many factors which can add to or exacerbate a situation like that. It doesn't help when it's a twin cylinder engine and the other cylinder is still alive and functional to drag the damaged one along for a while to help add to the damage

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In answer to your question - yes, I've seen Honda 100cc singles do similar damage. As Steve alluded to, there are many factors which can add to or exacerbate a situation like that. It doesn't help when it's a twin cylinder engine and the other cylinder is still alive and functional to drag the damaged one along for a while to help add to the damage
Ok thank you guys so much. This just surprised me so much since this bike only had 1,100 miles give or take. I’m probably gonna strip it down and get my hands dirty and do a full disassembly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts