Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings from Norway!! We're new here. When I say we, I mean myself and my 14 year old son who is sitting beside me breathing down my neck hoping to get some answers and guidance from this forum about his new bike.

Having saved up for a bike he didn't go with modern plastic but chose this really cool cafe racer conversion of a '75 Cb 125 B6 twin. He can begin practicing for his liscense already next year.

We bought the bike despite it being advertised with charging issues. It took 5 minutes on Google to find out that all of these 6v electrical systems are dodgy at best. Sure enough after 15 minutes of tearing around on the bike...it's back to charging the battery.

Ok so a 12v conversion it is then and we started lurking on forums trying to get some answers. We came across what seemed like a creadible sourse on "Chop ...something".
It was said that this is the way to go forward:

1) change to a 12v battery - bought a Yuasa YB3L-B (12V 3.2Ah 30A)
2) install a cheap bridge rectifier - the bike already had one
3) Change all bulbs to 12v
4) put in a 15A main fuse
5) 12v flasher relay

It was also stated that the stator put out more than enough current to run this set-up and the coil was also ok.

Ok, so we did all this and the bike is still no better - even a little worse.
We measured the output at the battery terminals:

- at idle: 10-11.5V
- at 4000rpm: 12.2V
- at 9000rpm: 13v

So then back to charging the battery after a little tearing around!

Back to lurking on forums.

It was also suggested to splice the yellow and white wires from the stator together - we did this...no change :/

Ok, we need some help here! Hourly rates at bike shops here are north of 200dollars/hr so money saved by doing things ourselves is well spent on getting his liscence next year.
Can anyone tell us exactly which components from which bike can be installed onto this bike in order to make it into a reliable 12v conversion - with all the benefits of a 12v system.
We are not going to become experts in small engine electronics! Can you guys help us with a precise shopping list? It is my understanding that stators and other components are readily exchangable from Cb175, 200 and 350?

Any help would be greatly appreciated even though we're probably going to get yelled at for asking about what for most of you is I'm sure quite basic - or even worse...coverred earlier ;)

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Greetings from Norway!! We're new here. When I say we, I mean myself and my 14 year old son who is sitting beside me breathing down my neck hoping to get some answers and guidance from this forum about his new bike.

Having saved up for a bike he didn't go with modern plastic but chose this really cool cafe racer conversion of a '75 Cb 125 B6 twin. He can begin practicing for his liscense already next year.

We bought the bike despite it being advertised with charging issues. It took 5 minutes on Google to find out that all of these 6v electrical systems are dodgy at best. Sure enough after 15 minutes of tearing around on the bike...it's back to charging the battery.

Ok so a 12v conversion it is then and we started lurking on forums trying to get some answers. We came across what seemed like a creadible sourse on "Chop ...something".
It was said that this is the way to go forward:

1) change to a 12v battery - bought a Yuasa YB3L-B (12V 3.2Ah 30A)
2) install a cheap bridge rectifier - the bike already had one
3) Change all bulbs to 12v
4) put in a 15A main fuse
5) 12v flasher relay

It was also stated that the stator put out more than enough current to run this set-up and the coil was also ok.
I did the same and messed about trying to get the original (CD175 6v) stator to charge a system upgraded to 12v.
LED bulbs to lower consumption etc.
Never worked well for me.

I bought a stator from a CL175, direct fit, problem solved.

I suggest looking on eBay for one of the breaker shops and buying a CB/CL175 stator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Simo and Alex, thanks for your responses!

Do we need anything else or should we try to only swap out the stator? I see mention of regulators - do we need one for this set-up? There are several vendors offerring stators and regulators together in a kit.
Will the new stator be connected into the same plug as the 6v unit? Or is there a need for modifying the output wiring? Do we continue having the yellow ang white wires spliced together?

Also about the coil...is there any truth to that the original 6v coil should be up for the task, or will it overheat? ...or just run it until it fries and then change it out to a 12v equivalent when the time comes?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I used the original 6v coil pack for ages, no issues.

The wiring should be a direct swap out.
I added a modern regulator/rectifier so wired it up according to the (poor) instructions that came with it

If you want to burn some time you can see my stator change in my build thread

CD175 cafe racer - my first 4 stroke!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...net/forums/showpost.php?p=402642&share_type=t

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A direct swap out is music to my ears ;) I'll see if I can find a stator from a 160,175 or CB200. You say that they are the same physical size, but is the output higher on the 200 compared to the, say, 160?

When you guys are talking about a regulator/rectifier do you mean an ac/dc bridge rectifier? Like this:

https://www.e-deala.co.uk/5x-bridge...bpc3510-ac-to-dc-converter-200154.html#popup1

The bike already has one of these. Or is it this you mean:

Rick's Rectifier / Regulator Combo - Honda CB Twins

If it is the later you're refering to, looks like Rick's is a good one? If not only because of the promissed "installation guide" ;) (where exactly does the regulator/rectifier hook in)?
Does this 12v conversion still need an ac/dc bridge rectifier?

ALEX: now that was indeed time well burnt;) What a cool bike! Tidler looks like a true labour of love and you certainly have used a bucket load of time on it. I have a feeling that we'll often be refering back to your build as a reference!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
This is the wiring diagram that came with mine...
Didn't take much re-wiring really.

Find a 5 wire on eBay and go for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Simo: you mention the 35 dollar part from Sparkmoto - Is it the unit on the top right of the page? If yes...it's a single phase unit...but...

Alex: I see that on the top of your wiring diagram it says "2 phase".

Little confused. Can i use either?

Simo: does this unit replace the Ac/Dc bridge rectifier and gets plugged into the same plug?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts