Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recent aquisition, a 75 500t with a real 270 miles. I purchased it from a dealer on an open title, the original owner signed the title this october w/ 262 miles. The bike has been serviced and carbs rebuilt, tank flushed. It had be tipped over and has a couple scuffs, no dents or scratches on the tank. The bad, the bike has sat in a heated basement since winter 1977, so after doing a wash there is some polishing to do. The only non original item is the battery. The paint is dull on the tank and the side covers have some paint rubbed through to the plastic, can't quite figure out how. The tires are the original superspeed bridgestones. There is a scuff on the ft fender. So far those who have seen it think its like new.

What kind of value does the 270 miler have? If I were to disassemble it, repaint, relable w/ correct warning lables ect to make it absolutely mint would that be more valuable than a for real orinigal untouched, just cleaned and polished to its best appearance? Would a repaint be more obvious?

I really want a rider and would like to make it my style, but hate to disturb a original. I am working on a cafe rebuild as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hello Ed, and welcome
It can be hard to place a value on any old motorcycle, usually ends up what ever the buyer is willing to pay. I'd say it's worth more if the original paint is in decent shape. The 500T isn't as desirable as the 450, it's slower, vibrates more due to the longer stroke, and the style of the bars, turn signals, tail light don't go with the classic style seat, tank, and side covers.
On the other hand, I really like the looks of the bike, and found they convert very easily to a rideable mild cafe without butchering the bike up.
Get some new sneakers on it and a new battery, then ride it a while before you decide what you want to change.
Allen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts