Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg

I recently foundThis 74 CB 450. 4500 miles. Hadn't run since 1984. It's in remarkable condition as it was always inside. Going to clean it up and keep,this one as I like original bikes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
image.jpg

Excused me but I can only post on photo a time. I decided before I went crazy on it I needed to see if it would run. It still had gas from 1984 in it! Anyway, when I pulled the carbs I had a nice surprise. The photo is pre cleaning! Nice. Cleaned them anyway. Cleaning tank with PineSol so I used a remote gas supply. Powered it up and all lights worked and horn honked. Good vibes. Then filled carbs with gas. And hit the button to start it. The old Honda spun over two times and fired up and settled into a nice idle like it did when new. Now to move forward with tires, fork seals, gators, chain and sprockets. Need to rebuild the master cylinder and caliper. Will do a service on the engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image.jpg

Got the fork legs cl image.jpg ean up, new seals and gators. Starting to look decent

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got front tire and rim back on. Starting to look like a bike again image.jpg

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Nice looking bike. Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
and after that, you should properly introduce yourself in the Members Introduction area so we know a little about you and your bike
Yes I will. I did note my first ride was a BSA Victor in the late 1960s. I also had several late 60s early 70s Truimph 650s, bonnevilles, and tiger. The tiger I loved. So easy to work on, Had the unit transmission, so it was easy to get apart. Also bought a new triumph back in 1977 I think. It was a 750 5 speed. Had shift on your left foot then. Got a yamaha enouro off the floor new back in 73 or 4, dont remember. Cost about $680.00 back then. Moved to another state, and let my license go. Im in Kentucky now and was itching to do something so bought a CB360. Mainly because its a small bike, about the size of my triumph tiger of years ago. Easy to drive for me.
I opened it up, set the cam, installed new seals, put in new points, Timed it, and set carbs but the engine started to runaway with me on it. I had to hit the kill switch to save myself. This had to stop. I read all the articles about wild idle speeds coming on so set out to solve the problem. I immediatly knew it was a carb problem, so took off the carbs, and minutely checked them. The bellows in the slides were supple but torn in the folds, and were causing the problem. I took out the jets, replaced just the idle ones. Did NOT replace any of the others. I never risk changing altering a factory matched item like that. Checked floats,were fine, checked needles fine, just put them back in. Looked at the throttle plates for syncronization. Looked just fine. Just left it alone. Buttoned it up, and turned on the gas. Set the idles a couple turns out, hit the switch and it runs like a top. Idles dead smooth, and draws power evenly no flat spots. I also put in a 17 tooth sprocket, so it really pulls nice at higher speeds, yet does great on the street too.
I remember the saying from the 1918 Curtiss Aircraft manual "Avoid the dangerous habit called tinkeritus. When the motor is running smoothly... LEAVE IT ALONE.
Im going on 72 years old and look to enjoy my little Honda 360 the rest of my life. I drove it 200 miles this past sunday, and loved every minute of it. I hope I can contribute a few common sense things to this forum.

Carol Ann

·
Banned
854 Posts
I have the same bike, your is much shinier. Nice job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks you. I'll post photos as I go. Today I soda blasted the rear wheel, mufflers and various chrome goodies. The soda makes for quick work and doesn't harm the chrome. I'll post some before and after photos of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
At 4500 miles and the bike kept indoors, it looks to be in good shape. I bet the last one to tune it was the Honda dealer with the 600 mile tune. I would suggest replacing the ignition capacitors. They do time expire, even if the points are OK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
image.jpg

Put the pipes on and the rear shock. I think the factory chrome polished up great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found image.jpg
image.jpg

Got the tins put on. Just waiting for rear tire to come in.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Looking sharp Rick. Love the cream on that tank. Keep the photos coming.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Bike looks great - as I said, another example of a nice survivor that will get plenty of attention when you're out riding, just wish the pictures zoomed so we could see it better.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Yes Rick, the bike seems to be coming along nicely. Hard to beat that factory original look. You could set up a google photo account (it’s free) and link to your photos there. That way Ancientdad would be happy and we could see your progress with better clarity. That’s what I finally had to do since this site doesn’t like photos uploads from IPads for some reason.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^and others would be happy as well when they (and I) can see better the fabulous original paint on that 450... it's a thing of beauty to see one around like that still.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
image.jpg

Been busy win other projects. Got the front brakes hoses replaced and bled. Stuck battery in and will fire it up tomorrow. I can't link to Google as I have no clue how. If someone needs a close up shot of something let me know via a PM and I'll email it to you.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I can't link to Google as I have no clue how.
If you have a Gmail address, it's simple to set up a Google Photos account - you're practically there already. If you don't have a Gmail account you can still do it, a Google login will be set up for you to use with Google Photos when you do it. Go here to get started, there's no limit to how many pictures and videos you can upload to share and you can share some or all of the picture and/or videos with anyone by simply creating a link to copy and paste in an email to send to someone so they can view them

https://www.google.com/photos/about/

at the link above, click on the blue "go to Google Photos" button and if you have a Gmail address, it will let you set up a Photos account right then, or create an email/login to do it even if you don't have a Gmail address by clicking on "create account" toward the bottom of the page.

Remember, you can find most any information now by simply doing a Google search for it - the info is out there, you just have to phrase the search properly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts