Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Last summer I got a 1974 Honda CB450 K7. I'm new to riding and wanted an older bike to learn to ride and to learn about bikes in general.

motomoto.jpg

Overall it's in pretty good shape. It ran well for most of the summer but now is in need of some work.

Towards the end of last summer it started leaking oil from the left crank case cover. After disassembling the left crank case cover and some research on here I believe it is the gear shift oil seal and/or the clutch rod oil seal.

Looking forward to getting it fixed and enjoying the summer!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I chased an oil leak on my 450 for a day or two before identifying it as a blown seal. Should have been my first guess.

Nice bike and nice scenery too. Wish we had some mountain roads here in NYC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems that seals are a fairly common issue with older CB's.

Emigration Canyon, just east of Salt Lake City. Pretty great evening ride!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It seems that seals are a fairly common issue with older CB's.
statements like that are often seen here - but there were many "CBs", of all different sizes, and none of them had any particularly "common" oil leaks when they were current bikes and tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of them were sold and on the road daily... but when you start digging up all these "older CBs" from the dreaded inactivity and poor storage of barns, sheds, and backyards of idiots who "think" they are going to make a cafe racer out of one and then give up and let it sit for 10 years before deciding to sell them... well, if you let any decent car sit for 10 years I'm quite sure many problems it would have after being revived would be "common" problems as well. When we buy these older bikes, we have to remember that they are still around after 45 to 50 years - and then think of the restorations that most cars of that age have to go through if they sat that long, and it's really no different

·
Registered
625 Posts
Tom, agreed. I didn't even suspect the oil seal because I've NEVER had an issue with one. Didn't even cross my mind. Spot on with everything else you mentioned as well. These engines rarely bleed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts