Honda Twins banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Issue!

this makes me happy. thank you. :mrgreen:
Hey there, Like you I bought a 74 cb200, I've done a lot of work on it and it's almost up to snuff, but there are a few lagging issues..

1. It won't Idle!! and it's not an adjustment Issue because I've tried that. When I start it it runs at 5000 and then slowly revs down until it stalls every time no matter how its adjusted. I had the carbs cleaned professionally, but I'm wondering if a jet or passage is still clogged in the carb.

2. Even with a fully charged battery it will stop running because the battery has died. So it must not be charging. Generator, rectifier?

Try getting your carbs cleaned and see if that makes a difference.

Also, My bike was only running on one cylinder and it turned out to be a spark issue. Make sure you're getting good spark.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
In post #18, you can see the cracks in the rubber manifold that are a likely source of problems.....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
2. Even with a fully charged battery it will stop running because the battery has died. So it must not be charging.
That does seem likely. Unless you are riding around at too low of an RPM for the alternator to charge the battery back up from starting and idling/running <2,000 RPM or so, as your motorcycle draws power from the battery to run at low RPM. I'm estimating the "break-even point" (where the battery is neither discharging nor being charged when the motorcycle is running) RPM, but it's probably in that neighborhood. And you might not see full alternator output until much higher (my owner's manual lists my electrical output at 5,000 RPM, which strongly infers that it is incapable of delivering it at a lower RPM).

Your issue would, of course, be exacerbated if you have switched to a lower-capacity battery. If so, even just starting the engine and letting it idle for a few minutes might discharge the battery to the point at which it can no longer support the ignition.

Regards,

21 - 24 of 24 Posts