Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...I recently purchased a low mileage barn find, '74 CL360...From all that I can see, it looks to be completely original and time capsuled...Has surface rust throughout, but from what I can see (so far at least), does not look to be a problem...Maybe the tank, but I won't know until I clean it up a bit...

I currently ride a 2009 Bonneville, which I have never actually done any work to (just cosmetic stuff like new bars, signals, fender eliminator, etc.)...That said, I am admittedly inexperienced as hell but am excited to take on the challenge...

Ultimately, my goal with this bike is to take her apart, replace parts that need to be replaced, clean/restore parts as needed, and make a few cosmetic changes along the way...I'd also like to do this without having a nervous breakdown lol...

Having said all of this, I will would love any advice, feedback, direction, etc. that you all would be willing to offer...

I just took the tank and side covers off last night and I am trying my best to stay confident :cool: But man it's not easy! I did download and print the original owner's service manual and am trying to make sense of all of this...Would love to hear any feedback; thanks so much! :D

*Per the advice of everyone I've spoken to, I am taking pictures of every single part as I disassemble...

IMG_7084.jpg

Full photos can be seen here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zt35GXD7R3Y6TV4B6

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much; I will get into reading later on tonight - One thing to note, although it does kick freely, the throttle is completely lock into place (can't twist)...Same thing with the brake lever (can't compress)...Would you recommend disassembly first? Also, there is no battery in the bike at all; I am ordering a replacement later on, just to see the state of the electrics...

If there are other steps that you'd advise me to take on before these items, I'm all ears :)

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Surface rust on the outside of things means surface rust and corrosion on the inside of things as well. Cables get corroded up and gummy over time. Best not to force them, better to take them off and soak them in penetrant oil or an acetone/ATF mix to attempt to get them moving. Would suggest locating one of these, they help with getting lube into the cables. You may end up having to replace them anyway but no reason to trash them now if you can get themw orking.

lg_08-0182.jpg
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0182

You may end up having to replace them anyway but no reason to trash them now if you can get them working. The throttle cables maybe stuck because the throttle in the carbs are stuck which will take a good clean to fix.

74 360s should also have the recall work performed, if you look at the engine number there should be a dot . above and below the line so it looks like a division symbol. IF not make sure to do a full service on the bike making sure to tighten the cam chain before running it hard, don't want it to snap while out and about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surface rust on the outside of things means surface rust and corrosion on the inside of things as well. Cables get corroded up and gummy over time. Best not to force them, better to take them off and soak them in penetrant oil or an acetone/ATF mix to attempt to get them moving. Would suggest locating one of these, they help with getting lube into the cables. You may end up having to replace them anyway but no reason to trash them now if you can get themw orking.

View attachment 281586
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0182

You may end up having to replace them anyway but no reason to trash them now if you can get them working. The throttle cables maybe stuck because the throttle in the carbs are stuck which will take a good clean to fix.

74 360s should also have the recall work performed, if you look at the engine number there should be a dot . above and below the line so it looks like a division symbol. IF not make sure to do a full service on the bike making sure to tighten the cam chain before running it hard, don't want it to snap while out and about.

Thanks so much for this tip on the recall! I just had a look at the engine number and sadly it does not look like my bike was ever recalled...I did see replacement cam chains online and I will be sure to replace this as I get further into this project...But again, grateful for you pointing this out :)

As for the cables, I will definitely give them a good cleaning and will keep you updated...I'll look into the luber as well...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 more unrelated questions that I am hoping for some feedback on:

Anyone have experience with Motobatt AGM batteries? I just ordered one after doing some Google research...Would some feedback if anyone has?

When cleaning up the tank I found 2 small holes that appear to have been drilled the upper part of the tank behind the badge; not sure if someone was trying to get one of the screws in and went to far?...The holes are VERY small (looks like it was a 1/16 drill bit, I held one up to the hole to compare) - after completely cleaned, is it okay to plug these holes with some JB Weld epoxy?

Thanks a million everyone :)

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
2 more unrelated questions that I am hoping for some feedback on:

Anyone have experience with Motobatt AGM batteries? I just ordered one after doing some Google research...Would some feedback if anyone has?

Thanks a million everyone :)
I have a MotoBatt for all my bikes. My first time I ever used one I was very skeptical. They indicate that there is no need to pre-charge, and it is plug in and go. Granted the first time I tried starting my bike, the starter seemed a bit sluggish. After a spirited ride, the battery was tip top and I haven't run into any issues so far.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Regarding the holes, I am wondering if some gas tank sealer will be enough to do the trick (POR 15 kit)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts