Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, thanks for the site. More involved with single thumpers, and have a new to me 1974 CL 360. It hasnt been ridden in a while, and was inside a barn for the last 10 years or so. Have a question or 200, so here goes.

Before doing anything, I pulled the plugs and sprayed some penetrating oil in the cylinders, then gently tried the kickstarter to verify if the engine was loose. It spun over about a half a revolution and then got kinda hard to push the kickstarter down, just when the right side exhaust valve started to open; as the valve closes it gets easier to spin again until the next (right) exhaust cycle. I pulled off the stator cover and some oil was in the cover. Since the dipstick showed way overfull and smelled like gas I dumped the oil, and pulled the right side engine cover off to check for sludge etc, but its not bad. I sprayed some oil on the valve train and have the valve cover/caps off.

Anyone have any ideas why it might be stiff? Engine looks stock. It has 5000 miles on the odometer; I was able to do a compression test and got 200 on the left and 175 ish on the right (5 kicks with WOT). There may be a little extra oil in the left cylinder contributing to the 200 # but my gauge is good.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has the engine been taken apart before?
With the stator cover off, you can use a 14mm socket or wrench to turn the engine over (counterclockwise) at the bolt on the crankshaft. That is my preferred method of turning the engine over by hand, as you can control it more. Some oil in the alternator(stator) cover is ok.

Did you see all the valves operating? I would say get them in spec, then try turning over if you still feel it is difficult.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont believe the engine has ever been apart.

The electric starter will crank a couple seconds but then kick out; I am guessing the starter needs to be rebuilt from what I have read. I dont think thats part of my problem though.

I can rotate the engine over (CCW) with the 14mm socket on the stator and have been rotating it over while squirting 10w40 on the valve train. I can also kick the engine over enough to take a compression rating. It is just that as I spin it over slowly, it gets a little stiff to turn as the right side cylinder exhaust valve starts to open. I have the plugs out of the engine so the tightness is not from compression. I did back off the RH exhaust valve adjuster with the piston at TDC then brought it down .004.

Leaning towards bent exhaust valve but the valve closes properly, just doesnt seem to be opening properly; I admit i am guessing and just looking for some opinions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts