Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Yes, it is an early "sloper" engined CL 175.... 5 speed...(would be a US model 68/69 selling year bike) Not sure it's worth 700 pounds sterling, but could be, they are fairly scarce, and looks to be in somewhat decent shape..... Color is not original for a US bike..... I feel it is more of a 450 to 500 GBP bike max......... Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Steve, where do you get your GBP value from? they are rare here and sure they were never imported to UK at all, I would have thought about £1000, I am hoping to value mine in excess of that if I ever get it back here, am I being over optimistic?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Malcolm, I just converted from dollars I'd be willing to invest, BUT, I am a cheapskate!.. That is roughly $800 and considering the parts you would HAVE to replace to be Concours, I think it's about correct, But markets DO vary.....
Please don't let me dissuade you from the purchase...It's just my opinion.....
I'm guessing about $350-400 per wheel to renew/relace, (new rims and spokes, cleaned/polished hubs) and $500 to repaint back to factory color/finish with modern paint...Plus sundries.... about $3000 total investment, perhaps $3500......
Since that is close to the max it would be worth here, it wouldn't be a good prospect...
Now, the 68 CL175 I got for $100 might total $1800/2000 invested...That might be a viable project..... JMHO, Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi malcolmgb & 66Sprint
I subscribe to Classic Bike & Real Classic. I find it interesting to read the bike for sale sections each month. One reason that I enjoy this is that I know for sure that I am not going to jump in my pickup and go buy any thing that is listed. For a lot of the bikes the prices sound about right to me with out converting from pounds to dollars. As the most that I have ever payed for a Honda is $500 US. I find the UK old Honda prices High.
TomC in Ohio

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK understood, I'm not interested in buying it, I still have my CL175 over in the US and probably payed over the odds for it at about $500 but the heart takes over the brain at times, it will cost me more than that to ship it to the UK then I have to deal with import duty and taxes. However I don't buy to make a profit, they are unlikely ever to be sold by me and my daughter knows they will be her inheritance.
I have an understanding of how things are in the US and UK and these bikes are just not available in the UK at the low prices you can get them in the US. I would like a CB450 but would probably have to spend around £1K on a basket case again a CL just not available, a CB72/77 a 'pipe dream' I could go on.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
A CB450 shouldn't be that hard to find over here. They're very plentiful here. I see them on Craigslist for cheap all of the time. Finding one that someone would be willing to ship to you would be the problem, unless you have contacts here that can arrange all of that for you somehow..

Unless you're talking about a K0, then in that case, good luck.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I know I can get one easily in the US that is my point. Not after a K0 I prefer a 5 speed also prefer the gas tank design on the K1 up, a CL would be better too, I have to get my 175 over here first then will have some garage space at my daughters again to put a 450, then find one at the right price in the tri-state NJ/NY/PA area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You guys are lucky. When I see the prices of the bikes on sale on this site, I get jealous.
Prices for old Hondas are a lot higher here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts