Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to detail the rescue of JSeconds' bike from New York. I finally managed to carve out some time to work on the new(er) CB450 this past weekend. I managed to get the engine back in time (the intake cam slipped two teeth on the chain, and the exhaust cam slipped one), and set the points. There's a really good video on YouTube.com by Common-Motor that lays out a lot of the tips and tricks for setting time on these older points ignition engines. Anyway, the bike ran for about 15 seconds of mechanical destruction, then the engine locked up... I couldn't tell where the expensive sounding noises were coming from, but I don't think it really matters anymore. I drained the oil again and there were tons of very small aluminum flakes. It seriously looked like I dumped a whole tube of silver glitter in the drain pan. I'm not going to be able to do any more work on it until we get into the new place, so I pushed it off to the side of the house and threw a tarp over it. If I could have figured it out and gotten it running again, I could spend some time here and there tinkering with it, but since the engine decided to give up the ghost, it's going to the back burner until after the move. I think I'm actually going to try to overhaul the Scrambler engine first, and then drop that engine into the CB frame. Then once the CB engine is tended to, I'll swap them out and begin the Scrambler project in earnest. Well, that's the update so far. Hope everyone is doing great out there! -E

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lefty, not so much. It's just a bunch of mechanical pieces, so throwing it off a cliff would be such a waste. I'll take it apart and see what went bang, then overhaul it and it'll live to ride another day. I'm probably going to use some scrap lumber I have laying about to build an engine stand for the mill that came with the Scrambler, and get that engine overhauled and running again. Once I have a working engine, I'll drop it into the CB frame and ride for a little while. Then I can overhaul the CB engine while I still have a running vintage bike. From there, I'll put the CB engine back in once it's back together, and get started on the Scrambler. By then we'll be settled into the new house and I'll have plenty of room to work. I think I may stop by the junkyard out here and see if they still have one of the CB engines. It's missing a few cover pieces, but all in all it looked like it was complete enough to be a decent source of spare parts.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I suspect most of the aluminum came from the badly boogered-up starter clutch (or maybe cam chain wear inside, if it was that loose), which looked like a mess IIRC. How it managed to jump a couple of teeth on one cam and a tooth on the other is kind of a mystery... the cam chain couldn't have been properly tensioned for that to happen (and that's an understatement). It just means there's more work to do than you originally thought, but certainly not over-the-cliff-worthy :D

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
'over the cliff?' c'mon now. We've seen bikes in far worse shape without a comment like that.:confused:
We all knew my old ride had a terrible bang noise going on. I'm glad we're getting some insight to the origin. Sounds like a cam chain tensioner wearing out and causing that slippage. I'm bummed to hear this but I'm confident you'll get it going once again.
Glad I included that cam follower set!

cheers! keep us all posted

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J, it's nowhere near going over a cliff yet. I'm going to do some digging and see if I can't cobble together at least one working engine for the time being. That way I can pull the bad engine out but get the bike back on the road where it belongs. I'm already digging out parts, so fingers crossed I may be able to ride the bike to the new place after all. Here's hoping! Luckily it's only three blocks from where we're living now, so it shouldn't be too scary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts