Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It's been a while since I contributed to the forum, and I'm definitely sad about it. I started out with my '70 CB350 rebuild, made a video and everything. I carted the disassembled darling a few hours north to my brother's well equipped garage with the intention of having more resources there than in my cramped Cincinnati apartment. What ended up happening was a bust. I got caught up in alternating semesters of school and interning that there was no way I could head up regular to work on it. Please keep in mind as you read this that I'm fairly inexperienced and can use any direction you wonderful people have.

The itch to ride remained. A few months back, I ended up finding a crispy '74 CB450 K7 for the right price on CL in town. I just wanted another HT that was decent and I could really learn to ride well on. Guy I bought it from, Scott, was really cool and had just moved on to something fuel injected. Some photos:

My buddy Aaron on her

IMG_20150716_140004581_TOP.jpg

Scott had replaced the charging system, stator, coils, plugs, electronic ignition, etc. She ran pretty well, as far as my novice perspective could tell. And she still does, but I'm fairly sure I'm running on one cylinder. I did the spray bottle test and the left pipe seems to evaporate slightly slower than the right, and the exhaust isn't as beefy. That will be for another post though.

What I'm worried about is the wiring. I wanted to throw some new handlebars on her, which I am sort of regretting at this point, but I went ahead with it. Super bike bars. The right hand hi-low and ignition button were faulty, so I got a cheapy on amazon with what seemed like identical functions. It's here. The quality was surprisingly good, but no diagram. The time came to install the bars and control, and I went crazy unplugging things in the headlight. Should have taken more photos and studied the diagram thoroughly. Lesson learned! It took a long time, and looking inside the control, but I have everything functioning again expect the headlight and tail/brakelight. I'm having trouble figuring it out. At this point, I don't know if it's compatible. I did briefly have the head light working with what I think is the exact configuration I have now, but now it doesn't work. I'll post more photos of the current config tomorrow, but for now, I have the switch wires.

IMG_20150916_181325008.jpg

Here's what I think they do, in my terminology

Yellow w/red stripe - ignition
Grey, pink, bright blue - kill switch
Brown w/ white stripe - lo beam
Brown - 2nd light - off
Blue w/ white stripe - hi beam
Black - below the three of them?

I know you can't really go off of much with just a photo of the wires, so I'll have how I think they should be configured up tomorrow. It's unlikely that the head control went bad, right? I mean, all the switch does is facilitate a connection, it's unlikely that I damaged the wires, correct?

As for the tail/brake light, I have the diagram, but I'm a bit confused by it. Is there any way someone could rhetorical explain exactly how those functional wires should be connected in the headlight bucket?

I'm sorry if this wording is horrible! Thanks in advanced for any advice. Rock on!

·
Sensei
27,144 Posts
We can easily figure this out IF we know what color wires go to which switch in the unit......
A picture from the inside would help, but we CAN get there with a Volt-Ohm meter...
The PROBLEM will be when actually plugging them in as most of the colors match the Honda colors, but provide a different function, so it MAY get confusing....
Can be done over the phone....540-525-5199..... Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Steve, thanks so much. I'll try to give a call tomorrow around 6 if that works for you. I'll also get a photo inside the unit as well as how I am thinking the wiring should go.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that when I have the headlight wired as I think it was when I had it working, which is the blue/white wire going into the blue female of the light, and then the solid blue going into the white female of the light, and then the green going to ground, theoretically, if that configuration is correct, if I were to put the negative end of a Volt-Ohm meter into ground receptacle of the conjoining unit that the light plugs into, and then the positive into either the blue or white receptacles, I should be able to get current if I'm on the proper switch state, correct? Because I do not get any readings when I do this. Of course, I don't know if this is because I have the wires configured properly or not.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big thanks to Steve. Gave him a ring last night and educated me to a pulp. This is why this forum kicks ass!!! Got everything working and gained invaluable skills in the processes. If anyone's wondering, the switch I bought, will be compatible with you're CB450.

It turned out that I my new black handle bars had paint that was preventing ground from the switch. Never would have guessed that!!

Thanks again, Steve. Keep on rocking!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts