Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a ride the other day and toward the end of the ride the bike seemed to loose power and bog down. It didn't want to rev past 4-5k almost felt like it was running on one cylinder but I don't think it was. There was also some minimal backfiring going on too and it wanted to stall at idle. Took it out again yesterday and after about 2 miles it started doing the same thing again. I don't think it's a carburetor problem but perhaps it's a clogged fuel tank vent. I tend to think its some type of electrical issue but am looking for some ideas from the wealth of knowledge here. BTW I'm running stock points. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Simple thing is to check your timing. Mine jumped time suddenly this spring while out riding and wanted to die at idle. Turns out it was slightly retarded.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If mine had jumped the timing wouldn't it run bad consistently? Yesterday when I took it out it ran fine the first couple miles then went all wonky, makes me think it's something else but I'm far from an expert.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Change out your spark plugs - they're most likely fouled out, any trouble shooting would be futile....
Figure out why they fouled out in the first place.
It could be as simple as a compromised battery.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
If mine had jumped the timing wouldn't it run bad consistently? Yesterday when I took it out it ran fine the first couple miles then went all wonky, makes me think it's something else but I'm far from an expert.
Perhaps I misspoke this morning when I said “jumped time”. What I meant was my timing became slightly retarded during a longer ride and the bike would not hold an idle without dying. It did run good at higher revs. A simple adjustment of the timing when I got home corrected the problem.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woke up feeling like crap today so I don't feel like wrenching. I will update once I start digging into things.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally able to start to dig into things. Going to check the oil pump first just to be sure, what should I be looking for when I remove the exhaust cover? The oil looks clean as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Left plug looks like its way too lean, right plug looks like it has carbon build up. Looks like there is oil on the cam lobes and rockers even after sitting for over a week so I'm assuming this means the oil pump is working properly. Could it be the coils? Perhaps carbs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think it's the carbs. If it starts easy without choke then has issues after it's warmed up, that sounds like a carb problem. I'd recheck the throttle/carb settings starting with the right side.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure if its carbs but I'm gonna pull them and have a look. It certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I pulled the carbs and found a couple things. The pilot jet on left carb looks like it might be clogged and the float needle seat on the right carb had vibrated loose and was backed out about a full turn. Hoping these are what was causing the problems, planning to properly clean the carbs in an ultrasonic then I will let you guys know if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had issues with fuel flow. My carbs were simply running dry do to poor flow from a combinantion of old petcock, the resivior tube being old and crusty and sealer blocking the flow bung on the tank.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Well I pulled the carbs and found a couple things. The pilot jet on left carb looks like it might be clogged and the float needle seat on the right carb had vibrated loose and was backed out about a full turn. Hoping these are what was causing the problems, planning to properly clean the carbs in an ultrasonic then I will let you guys know if that solves the problem.
If those plugs came out of the bike after normal riding (not a plug chop) then I'd say what you've found could be all it is... certainly extra fuel could have leaked past the threads on the loose needle seat. Pic doesn't enlarge but still, the cam looks pretty good from what I can see... and if you had an oil flow issue, the left exhaust lobe would be the first to know

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is how the plugs looked at the end of the last ride when it was bogging and loosing power, not a chop. Should have the carbs back in the bike sometime today. Fingers crossed that's all it was but we shall see. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good news, carbs back in the bike and went for about a 10mi test ride. Bike ran well with no sign of bogging or power loss, didn't go very fast due to being on a slow road and traffic. Still gotta mess with the idle a bit but not a big deal. Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts