Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently ive been having a few issues with my bike. It seems I fix one issue and another one arises lol. Recently I cleaned the carbs and changed the oil. Added a carb boot on the left side since it looked really ruff, and replaced both gaskets. It was riding fine for a week when i notice the rpms where at about 2000 when just idling so i twisted the idle adjuster knob. The one in the picture. This would happen every few days or so. Then the muffler would start sputtering while I would ride. Then yesterday it happened again it was at 2k RPMS but this time it just wouldnt go down. I usually barely have to turn it to get the rpms to react but i was taking full turns. I had to stop because it started feeling kinda loose. I did turn it the opposite way and the RPMS do rise up, but turn it down it just stops at 2k RPMS. The only thing I can think off is maybe Carb Synch. but i did the whole guitar string synch when i cleaned the carbs. AS for the muffler sputtering maybe timing is off but i did that maybe in January and iv only recently been riding my bike for about a week and a half. I also did change my spark plugs and add so sea foam. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Vacuum leak between carb and engine, usually the boots.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently did replace one of them because i had an air leak a a few weeks ago. I do feel like its not sitting on the boots right. Especially since i have pods theyre just hanging on nothing but the boots. I use some zip tie to help with some support.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Another thing to look for is if the throttle cable is old and curled, it can hold the throttle open. To check this push down lightly on the carb throttle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My throttle cable is actually kinda loose. The throttle handle bar throttle is loose as well. It takes me a while until catch the cable and it starts pulling. Also now that you mention it, i have notice that when im waiting at a red light my rpms are high because of this loose throttle. It causes me to pull it a bit beacuse of how loose it is i think. i have to counter turn to let the rpms go down. Yesterday i thought this was the issue actually but it still wouldnt go down. Do i need to lube the cable or buy andother one. Ive yet to lube it and ive had the bike since last august. Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Did you push down on the carb throttle to see if it idles down? That will let you know if a cable is interfering and you can start looking at vacuum leaks as a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
You still need to push down on the carb throttle and see if the idle drops, that will eliminate cable interference as a problem and you can look for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
For vacuum leaks, try hitting the throttle shaft plugs with WD-40 while it’s running and see if the idle changes. Sometimes they can work loose, or the felt washer inside of them gets eaten by carb cleaner.

When you say they don’t feel like they’re on there properly, are the carbs seated over the small lip inside the boot? I find a light film of Marvel Mystery Oil lets them pop right in. And you replaced your intake boot gaskets after taking them off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the boots arent that deep in there. I guess i was just to eager to ride. I should've tooken my time lol. Ill try your technique with the Mystery oil. And yes the previous owner didnt have gaskets for some reason so i added those. Also where are the throttle shaft plugs located?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Ok ill look into it, tonight thanks
I didn't mean to post twice, I had a forum error so I typed it again and now it shows both.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I usually reach around from the front of the bike so I can lean against it and pull hard - you should feel them sort of 'pop' into place. I'll take a picture of mine the next time I'm in front of it so you can see the depth - mine are about to come off anyway. You've got regular JIS (they look like Phillips head) screws for attaching the boots to the head, right? Using hex bolts makes it easy to put too much pressure on them and warp the base, they're pretty fragile.

CMC's got a good view of the throttle shaft plugs here: Honda CL / CJ / CB360 Carburetor Throttle Shaft Plugs | Common Motor Collective - it's the last picture in the gallery.

EDIT: And believe me, after frying a couple cams, I get being in too big a hurry - you aren't alone there :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts