Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 1974 Honda CB360 with 2300 gentle original miles. I am going to totally rewire the entire bike and change some things around.

I want to replace the stock regulator and rectifier with a modern quality unit R/R but I'm somewhat confused as to what to get, even after having researched for a while. Its quite possible there are units that will work but are not optimal.

The stator has 3 wires, white, pink and yellow. My understanding is that this is a 3 phase stator but I don't know if it is permanent magnet or electro magnet and I don't know what split coil means. I know various modern aftermarket R/R units come with 4 wires, 5 wires, 6 wire, etc. Some R/R units are said to be for PM and some for EM.

Can anyone recommend a good R/R unit that is intended to work with, or will work optimally well with this 'Honda split coil stator' and will replace both the stock regulator and rectifier?

Which unit and how to wire?

Any advice is much appreciated.

-Hannz

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Don't regard my comments as the definitive answer, but for what it's worth this is what I've done / am doing, on my 175 engine, which is using a CB200 alternator.

I have taken the pink white and yellow wires from the alternator, and wired these directly to a regulator rectifier from a later (1998) CB600 Honda. At the moment, this is just patched into the original loom, but I have made up an accessory loom, as in my picture below. This connects the battery directly to the regulator rectifier, bypassing any aged wiring and connections. I have already performed this modification on my 600, with good results.

Reg/rec has 5 wires, 3 yellow take unregulated AC current from alternator, output regulated DC to battery via red and green wires. I have added a connector to plug into original loom, to take the neutral switch wire.

rectplug.jpg

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
This is a two phase alternator. The white and yellow are on the same phase and are connected together when the headlight is turned on. Since the US bikes are headlight on all the time. they are hard wired together in the headlight. On a general export bike and older 350/450 series part of one phase is dropped off when the headlight is off, to reduce the alternator output. I did a regulator rectifier upgrade to my 450. It has a two phase alternator similar to your 360. The one thing I recommend is to be careful about the size of the unit you choose. I got a larger combination unit and had a difficult time mounting it. So far I have 52 miles on the bike and it seems to be working well. Here is one of our co-HondaTwins.net guys solution.
I rewired mt 450 and you can see what i did on my build log.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts