Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://youtu.be/ckfzPhIKpKk

So this noise happens when its in neutral. And goes away when i changed into first until i start gaining speed. Heres a video of the noise. I took it apart yesterday thinking it was something from the clutch bucket was wrong since thats where the noise seem to be originating from. And everything seems to be right. The only thing i can think of is the shaft the is attached to the clutch bucket, which is the transmission. Ive riden it a few times with this issue and it rides fine with the only exception being this noise. I dont want to keep riding the bike fearing i might do some more damage. Also i am fairly new to riding so i mightve been a bit rough on her especialy with changing gears took me awhile to get use to it. Still have trouble downshifting every now and then. Anyways if it is the trasmission. Being a rookie mechanic with basic tools what kinda comitment am i looking in to? What obstacles and tips can yall give me? Should i just take it to a proffesional(i dont want to spend more than 200 300 max)? But if yall advice it i rather do that. Or if yall think its something else please let me know. Thank yall on advance, any advice helps!

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you put a hand on the kick start lever, can you feel it vibrating with that noise? That sounds like the toothed gear hasn’t fully disengaged and is whirring against the lever, to me. Same idea as if you put pressure on the kick starter while the bike is running.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When i bought the bike it came with the end broken you could probably see it in thr video. I actually already have a replacement. I was going to replace it yesterday, but it looks like i have to take the engine apart to just to get to it. Do i need to buy any gaskets or special tools to get to it?

Also is it safe to drive like this? Will i do any major damage?

·
Registered
555 Posts
There might be a way to replace the kicker spindle without splitting the cases, but I don’t know it. Personally I wouldn’t run it like that for long - half for the funny looks you’ll get, and half for the metal shavings that could end up in your bottom end/eat up your bearings.

Upside is, I’m pretty sure you can split the cases with the engine upside down? You’ll need some blocks to support it in that position and to keep from scratching up your valve cover, but otherwise it’s just a 10mm socket, a 12mm socket, a buddy to help you maneuver the thing out, some Hondabond to seal it back up when you’re done, and a big rubber mallet to whack it with to break the HB seal. Snap ring pliers will be helpful for the kicker end as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok cool so i do have the replacement but at the moment i dont have the time commitment nor the buddy to do all this lol maybe in next month. But i did notice something and hopefully it would work as a temporary fix.https://goo.gl/images/c8YqtJ
I notice the one that is currently in my bike does not have that spring you see in the picture. Im thinking of adding the spring and hopefully that stops it from making the noise. The attached thumbnail is my bike. It was turned all the way down before i took the picture. I turned it clockwise when i was trying to figure how to take it out. Maybe its constantly turned and the spring well keep it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
That might fix it on its own, actually. The teeth might be a little worn from being ground against the rotor like that, but the rest might be fine. The spring essentially pushes the kicker back to its sitting position, which lifts the teeth off of the other rotor inside the case. Definitely start there, and change your oil - you’ll want to know how much metal is in there. How available are those springs? I might have one inside a spare case if you can’t find it anywhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually bought a used kickstater since the the one that is currently in there has the tip broken off. I was going to replace it thinking i could just pull it out. Ill just use that spring. Thank you for the offer though! Ill twist it with some pliers clockwise and turn it on to see if that is the issue before i open it up again. If it is ill probably open it up this weekend and place the spring. Thsnks for your help. Ill update later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it was the spring missing causing the noise!! i grab some plyers and attached it and turned it clockwise and the noise stop. Dude thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
No worries! Glad it worked out :D now if only the 360 gods will smile on me for getting this vacuum leak figured out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts