Honda Twins banner

1973 Honda CB350 Charging system straight to the coils?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Renat 
#1 ·
Hey guys! This is my first post and i bought my first bike CB350, and decided to make it a performance bike only, no lights no nothing. I was wondering if there is a no battery option. I read a few posts about bikes having battery alternators but i was wondering if it was possible to connect the changing system straight to the coils. Because by my logic, if you kickstart the bike, it would rotate the charging system which will pass power to the coils and power the bike. And just have it going like that. Thanks for everybody's help!

#3 ·
The "recharging" system of a typical Honda 350 does not produce 12V at the wattage necessary for the coils until the alternator is rotating at about 2500 to 3000 RPM......

Can you kick it over that fast?...........................

Yes, a "battery eliminator" (large electrolytic capacitor) can be installed in place of the battery, but it will be temperamental to start, and less than reliable....and it won't idle.....

You NEED 14.4 watts of power (1.2 amps) at 12 V JUST for the coils..... A much smaller battery can provide that......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.