Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1973 Cl350. Pretty good condition. Ran poorly, but I adjusted the valves and swapped the points and set the timing. Runs well now. I don't like how much slop is in the output shaft of the transmission. Is this normal? A couple of pictures, because I know you guys want pics. I have a video of the slop in the output shaft, but don't know how to post the video. For some reason, its posting the pictures sideways even though I've rotated them on my computer first. Any thoughts on the output shaft play would be appreciated.
IMG_8096.JPG IMG_8076.JPG

·
Registered
866 Posts
Best to clean out the area and then ride and check. If something is leaking you will get a good idea where.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, by slop, I mean there is a lot of play in the output shaft. More than what I think should be there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Weird that it has a 72 tank. only had 10350 miles on it when I bought it. Remarkably good condition as well. Doesn't seem to have been wrecked. I now see that there is an option to upload a video on here. I will upload a video when I get home of the play in the shaft.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Have you ridden it enough to know if it shifts okay? I ask because it's possible some PO had the bottom end apart and left out a set ring for the countershaft bearing on the sprocket side or missed the locating pin on the other end of the shaft with the roller bearing cap and the shaft is being allowed to move more than normal... and when you get a chance, an Introduction would be appreciated as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its shifting just fine. I've put a few hundred miles on it already. video below of the play in the shaft. I'll get on the introduction!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Rotational movement like that is because the gears are engaging with each other with the use of "dogs" on the sides of the gears. the transmission design is called "constant mesh" because the teeth of the gears are always engaged, but the rotational movement isn't anything wrong, it's just how they work. If you haven't seen one apart, you'd immediately understand why it's normal once you do. A quick search brought this up

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
That "play"from "stop to stop" is simply because you are IN a gear, and its arc is controlled by that gear's ratios....
In other words the logrithmic compilation of all the clearances in the rotating parts all the way back to the motionless crankshaft read in degrees equals that arc...
This would include clearances in shafts and gears inner splining, gear dogs and their matching bearing-transfer holes, and gear teeth back clearances
In neutral, the shaft would continue to spin as long as you turn it......

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Is the '73 what is on the title?
in the '70's the calendar year the bike was sold in/delivered to the buyer is what usually appears in the title not necessarily the Model year.
Check the Serail Number Plate on the head tube for the actual production month/year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts